Chapter 30

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Dr. Seuss

Fola grinned at her reflection in the mirror. She had taken extra care to look gorgeous. Silver earrings dangled from her ears and a silver pendant wrapped around her neck. For the first time in a long time, she took a trip to the hairdresser and came back with a beautiful cornrow hairstyle called Koroba. 

Koroba is a hairstyle of the Yoruba tribe in the country Nigeria in the Western part of Africa. (Picture is courtesy of Google)

She turned away from the mirror and went to where her bag and shoes lay waiting for her

She turned away from the mirror and went to where her bag and shoes lay waiting for her. She slipped into her silver sandals and flung her bag over her shoulder. With her head held high, she strutted out of the room. Her heels clicked softly against the floor and the hem of her fuschia dress swished at her ankle. As she reached the end of the stairs, an angry voice stopped her. 

"Where do you think you're going?" 

Her breath hitched and her stomach churned. She slowly turned around. Chief Naade stood on the step leading to his study and personal living room. Fola's eyes roamed over his outfit and surprise filled her. He was clad in khaki shorts with a grey T-shirt. The outfit made him look younger than his 50 years.  

She shook away the thought and gazed at him with a defiant glint in her eyes.  "I am going to a party." 

"A party." He scowled. "That's not possible." 

 "Why?" She arched a brow. 

"Because I said so." 

"No." She shook her head and squared her shoulders. "That is not a legitimate reason." 

"Do you want to disobey me?" Rage covered his face.  

Fola sent him a leveled stare and shrugged her shoulder. "Please just let me go."

"No!" He howled and charged towards her.  

Fright surged through her and she scrambled back. Her heart raced as he drew closer.  That was the angriest she had seen him in their several years of marriage.  His jaw jutted out and a vein worked in his neck.  

A yelp left her lips as he yanked her arm and pulled her to him.  

"How dare you defy me?" His eyes drew together. 

"Please let me go." Fola gritted her teeth as she struggled to free herself from his tight grip. 

"Never." His lips curled into a sneer. "You belong to me and me alone." He tightened his hold and she flinched.  

Hot tears stung her eyes as his fingers dug into her skin.  

Oh God, if you care about me a little then send help. She prayed. Her skin crawled as his hot breath fanned her face. Her eyes darted to his face and he produced a smirk.