Chapter 22

One traumatic bullying experience can create and leave a never-healing scar that lasts forever. ~ Ty Howard

Life had gone back to normal, but it brought with it some changes. After Fola's escapade almost a week ago, the security officials in the house and office seemed to increase. Nora also made it a job to hover over Fola every minute of the day. Fola also made sure to show her irritation with her words and actions. 

The only freedom Fola got was when she was tucked away in her office. The pleasure of being alone and free spurred her to never miss a day of work. 

A knock on her office door broke her reverie. 

"Come in," she called out without looking up from the file she was reading.  

The sound of clicking heels filled the room and stopped in front of her table.  

"Yes, Bella, what is it?" Her head rose and she gazed at her new personal assistant. The appearance of Bella was among the changes that came after her feat of leaving the house without permission. Just like Nora, Bella was a stooge of Chief Naade. Another pair of eyes to monitor her. 

Bella cleared her throat. "Sorry to disturb you but you have a guest." 

"A guest?" Fola's brows rose. "And who might that be?" 

"The person refused to reveal his name." She shrugged her shoulders. 

Puzzlement swelled within Fola as different thoughts raced through her mind.  She couldn't stop herself from feeling a little afraid but she suppressed it and steeled herself. 

"Let him in," she declared. 

Bella's eyes widened a bit. "Are you sure? He could be a hired killer!" 

Fola couldn't stop the chuckle that left her lips. "If he was a hired killer, he would have killed you on sight." 

"What?!" Bella gasped and her eyes bulged open with fear shining in them. 

Amusement danced in Fola's eyes and she said through laughter, "It's okay; please send him in."

"Fine, if you say so." She huffed. Fear gleamed in her eyes as she proceeded to the door.  

Fola watched with merriment as Bella hobbled out with hunched shoulders. 

Thoughts of the unknown guest filled Fola's mind while she waited.  What if Bella happened to be right? What if Chief Naade or one of her enemies in the fashion industry had sent someone to kill her? 

A frightful shiver surged through her. 
With each minute that passed, her panic rose. Finally, her office door swung open. Her eyes swiveled to the person at the doorway and she inhaled sharply.  

"You!" she exclaimed and shot to her feet. 

 The person smirked and plopped down on the seat opposite her.  

Fola scowled. "Timi Tokunbo, what are you doing here?" 

"I came to see you, of course." 

Her scowl deepened and she made a fist. "What do you want?" 

Timi flinched. "Calm down, Glen. Have your seat."

Fola shook her head and bent over her desk. She pinned him with a hard stare. "I have told you not to call me that," she gritted out.  

"And I told you no. Glenda is your name and forever will be. I don't know what this Fola thing is all about. Why did you change your name?" 

"Because I wanted to." She rose to her full height and turned away.