Chapter 20 Part 2

Losing a brother is such a sad event. I will remember him always for his great charm and wit. Miss you brother. ~Anonymous

                .    ★★★

Kit's painful groans filled Fola's senses and she shot up. Her eyes widened as he tossed and turned on the bed.  

"Kit, what's wrong?" She asked as her hands ran over his body trying to calm him down. 

"I-I can-n-n't breathe," he wheezed and coughed. Sweat ran down his face.  

Glenda trembled as panic pulsed through her.  She jumped from the bed and raced to where Kala peacefully slept.  

"Kala! Kala!" She shook her sister's shoulder. "Wake up!" 

Kala's eyes peeled open and she groggily looked at her. "What's wrong?"

"Something is happening to Kit. Go and get Dr. Allen!"

Alarm clouded Kala's eyes and she jumped up.  "I will be right back!" she said and bolted out the door without bothering to wear slippers.  

"Be careful!" Glenda called out to but by then the door had closed behind her.   

Glenda raced back to the bed and gathered Kit into her arms while he gasped for breath.  

"You are going to be okay," she whispered and kissed his damp forehead.  

Her heart pounded against her chest. Beads of sweat mingled with tears raced down her face.  Her lips trembled as she muttered words of comfort in his ears. He continued to convulse in her arms and she grew more terrified. She hoped and prayed the doctor would come fast. 

Several minutes later, the door swung open and Kala rushed in followed by the middle-aged doctor.  Glenda quickly laid Kit on the bed and moved away for the doctor to pass.  She held her breath as the doctor did his examination. Kit's body jerked as he coughed. The doctor rose to his full height and frowned.

"His condition has gotten worse." His eyes dimmed.  

Glenda's heart landed in the pit of her stomach. "No, that can't be. He never missed any of his medicine." 

"Yeah, but unfortunately, the infection is affecting his lungs.  We should take him to the hospital."

"No!" Glenda exclaimed in a loud voice.  Going to the hospital required money which they didn't have. "Please, do something else." 

The doctor sent her a glance and understanding shone in his eyes. His shoulders dropped and he turned back to Kit. "I shall administer an injection to sedate him." 

Glenda's eyes followed him as he went about the process. She gripped the cross on her necklace while waiting for the injection to take effect. Moments later, Kit's painful groans were reduced to an occasional moan.  

The doctor packed up his bag and faced Glenda. "I will take my leave. He won't be waking up until morning. I will be back to check on him by then." 

"Thanks for your help, Sir," Glenda said and let her gratitude show in her eyes.  

"It's my pleasure." He sent her a warm smile and moved towards the door. 
She followed him to the door and closed it behind him.  

Glenda returned to her sitting position on the floor beside the bed. Kala took the spot on the opposite side of the bed. 

"You should go back to sleep," Glenda muttered.