Chapter 18

In our own storms in life, the Savior is our solace and our sanctuary. If we seek peace, we must come unto Him. — Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

Shoes crunched against gravel.  Labored breaths filled the atmosphere.  Fola couldn't care that it was getting late and she was feeling faint. She just kept on walking. Her body throbbed and her feet hurt but she kept on walking. 

You barren woman.

Banke's words drummed in her head.  It never left her even after Banke left the room.

It wasn't the first time she was called barren. But Banke's words had a different sting and she wondered why. Her wonder ended when the faces of Tobi and Olivia flashed before her eyes.  

Banke's words hurt more because she was living the life Fola longed for.  She was living the life of a mother. Although Fola had single-handedly cared for her siblings after their parent's death, still she wanted a child to call her own. A child who would call her mommy. A child whose birth would eradicate the tag of barrenness placed upon her by society.  

Tears stung her eyes as she thought of the disappointment she went through every month when her monthly menstruation cycle rolled in. She thought of the shame that swelled within her when her in-laws taunted her with their words and actions.  

Her failure to bear a child was the reason for her sleepless nights and nightmares.  

A tear rolled down her face as she thought of her husband's blatant betrayal. She had been married to Chief Naade for eight and a half years. Tobi turned seven years old three months ago. An indication that barely over a year after their marriage Tobi was conceived. She choked out a sob as the realization flooded her mind. 

Suddenly, all her energy was sucked out of her and her legs gave way. She managed to catch herself before she toppled to the floor.  She blindly gripped a railing and dragged herself to sit on the steps of a building. Her body leaned against the hard and cold metal of the railing. She let the tears pour out.  She clenched her teeth to stop herself from letting out a loud wail. 

Her shoulders trembled as waves of sobs washed over her. She wept for her failed dreams and unfulfilled wishes.  She was so lost in her misery, she didn't notice the shadow of an approaching person.  

"Are you okay, ma'am," came a gentle voice. 

Fola's sobs stopped and her stomach flipped. Fear surged through her and she chided herself for not bringing her bottle of pepper spray.  She slowly sat upright and looked at the figure hidden by the darkness of the night. Her back stiffened and she balled her fists in preparedness to fight, if necessary. 

"Who are you?" she asked in a hoarse voice.  "Show yourself." 

She didn't blink as the person slowly came closer. The dim light from the bulb outside the building enabled her to see the person better. 

A gasp escaped her lips and her eyes widened as the figure fully came into view.  

"Glenda!" The person exclaimed. "What are you doing here?" 

"Timi," she breathed out as shock surged through her. Her fright decreased and her fists loosened.  She might not like him but she believed he posed no danger to her. 

"What are you doing here so late?" His brows knitted. "You were crying? Are you hurt?" He stepped closer and his eyes swept over her body.  

Fola frowned and quickly wiped her wet cheeks. Embarrassment mingled with anger coursed through her. Why did he have to witness her breakdown? She thought with bitterness. 

"I am talking to you, Glenda.  Are you okay?" 

Her eyes flickered to him and the concern shining in his eyes did nothing but cause her anger to rise.  

"Why do you care?" she spat out and glared at him.  

His eyes widened and confusion clouded them.  "Because I care about you." 

Fola scoffed and shook her head. "I find that hard to believe. Don't forget you were once the reason for my tears." 

A grimace appeared on his face and his eyes dimmed. "That was before. Why do you keep bringing up the past?" He frowned.

"Because that's what exists between us." 

"Then let's make a fresh start. I want to be your friend?" His eyes pleaded with her.  

"Impossible!" Fola exclaimed in a cold voice. She shot to her feet but immediately regretted her actions as painful tingles shot through her legs.

"I don't want to have anything to do with you," she stated and hardened her jaw. She attempted to walk past him but stumbled on her feet in a hurry.  

As she swayed to the side, Timi grasped her arms. 

"Easy there," he whispered. 

Fola sent him a glare.  She pushed against his chest and pulled out of his hold. 

"Stay away from me," she gritted out and jabbed a finger at him.  

He raised his hands in surrender. "My apologies. I just didn't want you to fall." 

"Whatever," she muttered and crossed her arms over her chest.  

Her eyes traveled around. Surprise washed over her as she took everything in. Darkness covered the earth.  How could she have lost track of the time she wondered?  

Her eyes drifted to Timi who was watching her with rapt attention. A question popped into her head.  

"Why are you lurking around here so late at night?" She narrowed her eyes at him. 

He smirked. "I came to get something I left behind." 

Fola's forehead wrinkled.  "What do you mean?" 

"I came to church to get what I left behind after Bible study yesterday." 

"Church?" Her brows furrowed. "What are you talking about?" 

Confusion danced in his eyes. "Yes, I came to church." He gestured to the building they stood in front of. 

Her heart lurched and her eyes flew to the building. A gasp escaped her lips as her eyes connected with the sign on the building. 

Living in Christ Chapel. 

She took a step back as her eyes traced over the words.  

"How did I get here?" She whispered with wide eyes. 

She vaguely remembered dropping down on something without taking notice of where she was sitting.  Confusion mixed with shock raced through her.  Her brows drew together as a thought floated in her mind.  

Why did she keep going back to the church for solace? 

                             ★★★★

Hmmm, does anyone have the answer to her question?

If you do, the comment section is available and waiting. XD

We got to meet Timi again. Any thoughts on the kind of person he is?

I look forward to your comments and answers. 

Before leaving this chapter, don't forget the little star in the corner ⭐

Until next time, have a blast in whatever you do ❤️