Chapter 40

Pregnancy is a time of joy, hope, and anticipation, but also a time of fear, uncertainty, and vulnerability.” ‒ Unknown

You might be pregnant. 

Acantha's words left Fola tossing and turning at night. Every time she tried to fall asleep, Acantha's words filled her senses.  Tired of the struggle to sleep, she crawled out of bed and paced around her room.  

You might be pregnant. 

Acantha's statement blared in her head, taunting her of the possible reality. Panic burned within her and she pounded around the room with urgency.  

No, no, no. I can't be pregnant.  Her chest tightened and her stomach churned. She wrapped a hand around her stomach and a wail escaped her lips.  Her eyes travelled heavenward and she frowned.  

Why don't you listen to me? Angry tears stung her eyes and blinded her.  

She held her stomach as another strangled sob left her lips.  

Why would you fulfil my wish now when I don't want it anymore? More tears rushed out.  

Her legs quaked beneath her and she fell to her knees while clutching her abdomen. She bent over as tears raced down her face. Minutes blended into hours but she remained in the crouched position crying her eyes out. 

Finally, her wailing decreased to occasional whimpers. The ache in her knees forced her to get up. She let out a moan as pain shot through her legs.  Weariness swelled within her and she limped to the bed and sat on the edge.  She heaved a tired sigh and stifled a yawn.   Her eyes drooped and another yawn left her lips.  Her exhaustion became too much to fight, she crept under the sheets and fell into a fitful sleep. 

                        ★★★★

Stay away from my children, you barren woman," Banke screeched and wagged a finger at her. 

You don't deserve my son if you can't give him a child," her mother-in-law stared at her with disdain.  

You are a worthless investment.  I shouldn't have married you. 

Fola jerked into an upright position and clutched her chest as her heart pounded. Her lips wobbled and hot tears filled her eyes.  She wrapped her arms around her body and rocked back and forth

The voices from her nightmare slowly faded away but Fola still suffered from its aftermath. Although she had not had such nightmares in a long time, the insults still bruised her.  Tears raced down her face and she shivered from fright. The taunts she received because of her barrenness always left her in despair. A feeling that incapacitated her completely. 

Something stirred in Fola's stomach and her hand subconsciously rested on her abdomen.  

You might be pregnant.  

Acantha's words reminded her of the possible life growing within her.  The anxiety Fola felt yesterday returned and her breath came in short spans.  Fola rubbed her chest to soothe her racing heart.  Acantha's declaration was imprinted in her memory but a glimmer of hope bubbled within her. Hope that Acantha's speculation was false. 

The possibility that Acantha could be wrong lifted her spirits.  She convinced herself not to worry until she was completely sure whether she was pregnant or not. That conviction eased some of her tension and made her relax.  Her eyes drifted to the window where the rising sun signaled the breaking of dawn.