Part Thirty Nine

Isabelle

   We both make our way downstairs. When we walk in the living room I see only our parents. Both my mother and father and his mother and father.

"Hello there. I'm sorry I missed yesterday. Something came up," Zayn's father looks at me as he says it. He gets up and comes closer. "I'm Zayn's father. It's nice to finally meet you in person," he grins. At first I think he wants a handshake, but he pulls me in a hug. I carefully place my arms around him.

"Hi. Nice to meet you too," I answer, "It's great that you joined today, too," I say once he lets me go. I give him a smile. He nods. I look at Zayn. He's focused hard on his father. So he does have something to do with the Perrie situation. I just feel it.

"Where are-"

"They're in the game rooms," my mother answers my not finished question, "Are you two okay?" she asks making both Zayn and me look at her. Why wouldn't we be okay? We always make it out just fine.

"We're okay, yes. Why?" I ask. Did she hear us argue? I mean, he did raise his voice a little and my mother... knowing her, she could've sent Vincent to eavesdrop.

"You've cried," she points at me, "I can tell by your face," she gets up and comes closer. I smile at her. So that's that. I didn't know she could tell the difference. She hasn't paid attention before then.

"It's all good, mum. I promise," I whisper to her. She looks at Zayn unsure. "Hey, look at me," I take her hand. She looks in my eyes. "It was Liam. Not Zayn," I say. She frowns. I sigh and just shake my head. She looks at Zayn again.

"What about Liam? I heard he's in prison now, no?" Zayn's father is curious, so I take a look at him. I just nod. He observes me as he waits for me to reply out loud.

"He is. And I'm the reason why," I say in a threatening voice. He lifts his chin up a bit. "I mean, he hurt me. That's why," I explain, "But it doesn't matter now. I'm with Zayn and not with Liam," I add. He looks at Zayn. If I didn't know better, I'd say his father is giving him a reassuring look. But I do know. And it's no calm gesture. It was a threat.

"So... Let me guess. You took him for someone he's not just because your ex boyfriend abused you," he looks at me again, "Tell me, has Zayn ever hurt you to make you fear him?" he puts pressure on me. I look at Zayn. He doesn't look too happy. And he might have this question himself.

"No," I answer his last question, "He's the sweetest. And I believe he would never hurt me. And I never took him for someone he's not. I know where he comes from and-"

"Do you? Really?" he interrupts me. I frown. I turn to face his father. He's looking at me like I'm clueless.

"Yes, in fact, I do. Back in Las Vegas we weren't so close, but I still know what happened with his ex and all," I now gain the upper hand because his face drops. I'm about to talk more about the situation with Perrie, but Zayn takes my hand.

"Stop taunting her. She's had enough already and it's only like ten am," he mumbles, "Let's go make some breakfast for you," he whispers to me. I nod and follow him out of the room leaving the conversation like it never happened. When we enter the kitchen, Ronan gets up from his chair, but he frowns when he sees Zayn. "I'll make breakfast for us," he tells Ronan. It kind of shocks him, but he doesn't insist. I'm pretty sure it's because of the time when Zayn and me made that pizza. I just sit where I wouldn't be in the way.

"Your dad doesn't like me, does he?" I ask to make a conversation. He looks at me with a soft smile. I can't resist smiling back. My little sweetheart.

"It doesn't matter, my love. He'll get over it," he tells me, "Are you okay though?" he makes sure while he gets the ingredients for whatever that he'll be making for us. For me.

"I am, yes," I answer, "Why did he look so angry when I said I know what happened? In Las Vegas?" I ask him to try and see if he tells me about it more. He's quiet for a moment. And I wait while he whisks some eggs.

"Because it's much more complicated than what happened," he simply answers, "He was accused of killing her. That's why I didn't want him to meet you," he mumbles. I frown. So that means he was trying to protect me.

"You believe it?" I quietly ask. He looks up at me, then looks back to see if we're alone. Which we are. Ronan left as soon as he began to get the ingredients.

"I don't just believe it. I know it," he answers and then looks in my eyes, "It's because I saw it. I was the one who went to the court against him, but he didn't get arrested because there were much more people who spoke on his behalf. All of them said we both were at a business meeting and just got into an argument, so I must've been angry with him when I accused him of murder," he explains it to me. Somehow this makes me so relieved. He actually told me what happened.

"Do you need help?" I ask him. He frowns. For a second he's quiet. He hesitates to answer.

"No, I know how to make an omelette," he answers and gives me a smile. I raise both my eyebrows. He really thought I was offering to help him make an omelette? I would've gone and helped him without asking.

"I wasn't referring to omelette," I whisper. He freezes and looks at me. I shrug. "I don't have anything against him, but if you want him locked up, I'll help because what helps you is more important than what I mind or not," I explain. He shakes his head meaning he doesn't need my help.

"If you'll start to dig up some dirt on him, he'll know. And he'll make his move immediately. It's something that he... does..." he slows down in the end until he stops. Then he leans against the counter and sighs. "You dug up dirt on him, that's why he showed up. Didn't you?" he whispers. I shrug. "What do you mean you don't know?" he frowns. I bite my lower lip. How do I explain it to him?

"I didn't dig information on him. Not on purpose," I answer his question honestly, "I was curious about Perrie. All I really knew was that he was accused of murdering her," I bite my lower lip. He gets up again and continues to make the omelette.

"Fucking hell, Isa," he breathes out. Once again he sounds disappointed. But not angry. And it helps me with the fear.

"I promise, I won't do anything like that ever again. It's what we talked about in the morning and I did it when I was very skeptical about all of it. I'm trying now," I promise him. He doesn't even look at me. After this our conversation runs dry. He doesn't say anything and I don't want to ruin anything else, so I rather stay quiet. It's how I don't ruin anything.

He puts a plate in front of me and sits next to me. I don't hesitate to take a bite. And when I do, I feel like I'm in heaven. His cooking skills once again surprise me. I look at him to see him watch my reaction, so I smile a bit. He looks relieved when he nods and begins to eat as well. Was he really worried I wouldn't like it? Is he crazy?