Part Forty Eight

Isabelle
A month later

I roll my eyes making it completely obvious that I couldn't care less if he had his car wrecked or not. Surprisingly, he gets the hint and makes an excuse to leave. Good, I don't even know who he is or what his name is. I look at Zayn. He has a genuine smile as he looks at Lilith. She's excitedly telling him something.

"Hello, Isabelle. I see you've finally recovered," Harry suddenly startles me. I look at him and offer him a smile. Nod. He smiles a bit, nods as well and then goes to his seat. I look back at Zayn and Lilith. They're both observing Harry and now whispering about how suspicious he is for even trying to make a small talk with me. Then Lilith's eyes turn to me.

"Isn't it weird? Like at all?" she asks. I shrug. I'm not really used to talking now. It took a bit more than two weeks to heal and it sure did hurt like hell when I had to eat or drink something. She frowns. "Still no talking?" she asks. I hesitate to answer. Do I even have an answer?

"I am," I decide to speak. Her eyes light up. And I can see she's about to tell or ask something, but I look away. I just can't look at her. The fact that they're talking shit about Harry doesn't necessarily brighten up my mood, so now I'm bored and annoyed. It's like there's nothing else to do.

"You have to talk more. I miss you talking, I miss your voice like crazy!" she still talks to me when I don't want her to, "By the way, tell your mum thanks for still letting you come after she said you wouldn't," she adds. I look in her eyes and nod again. She sighs.

"I'm just tired. Not really in a mood to talk," I tell her. Honestly, it's weird that now it doesn't feel like I'm trying to talk with a broken jaw. I've gotten used to the pain. I mean, it's still there... It's still sore, but it's not as bad. I can now eat solid foods.

"How can you not be in a mood to talk? You've been talking through pain for long enough to be more than happy to talk without pain," she looks and sounds like she's surprised. I frown. She really thinks it's over just like that?

"It's not that easy, you know? Habit and all that..." I start off, "I'm still in pain. Just not as bad," I add. She pouts at me. I look at Zayn. He's looking at me. I can see peace in his eyes. It's like he feels like everything is in their right places. They both continue to talk, but I turn to the front. The lesson is about to start, so I want to be ready.

After the lessons Louis picked me up. Me and Harry as it turned out. He offered to have a little get-together with his closest friends and I agreed. I'm glad I get to be here. That I mean more than just an annoying girl to him. So right now I'm having a cup of coke while everyone's having a conversation. I told Zayn I'd be here, of course, but I feel like I'm doing something behind his back and it makes me feel guilty. I hate that feeling.

"Hey, you okay?" Harry quietly asks as he sits down next to me. I shrug. "What's up? You look so sad and zoned out all day today," he tells me. I look at my cup and sigh.

"I don't know, I just feel weird. I'm not used to my mother taking so much care of me and now it's making me feel like I owe her something. Same goes for everyone else," I answer, "Why you ask?" I frown. He just shrugs.

"You're a friend of Louis's. And I'm trying to make an effort," he answers. I cock an eyebrow at him. That's nice, but it also stings a little.

"So basically you're talking to me only because of Louis?" I smile, "What a bummer," he can't stop himself from laughing about it. After that, we both are silent. We observe other people.

"Can we be friends?" he suddenly asks. It throws me off a little, but I look at him curious. He looks genuine, but at this point I'm doubting the reasons behind why he wants to be friends. "I get it, we haven't been on the greatest terms and all, but that's because I don't know you," he frowns, "When I saw you actually scared of Zayn, it somehow made me realise that you're not really the girl that you're painting for the outsiders," he explains. I raise both my eyebrows.

"Scared? When was I scared of him?" I get confused. I mean, I know I've been scared of him, but when Harry saw it? What?

"Maybe you didn't realise, but I saw you from the side, Isa. When we all arrived, you looked at Zayn like he was going to hurt you just like his father did. If I didn't know better, I'd think that it was Zayn all along who hurt you and just returned with friends to paint himself innocent," he tells me. I look away from him.

"I did notice. And I was scared of him," I admit it, "But I know he would never," I whisper and sip my coke. He chuckles.

"You know his past. He hurt many girls, why do you believe he won't hurt you?" he asks, "Of course, I'm not saying your relationship is fake or that he's using you... or whatever," he adds quickly. I shrug. I just choose not to believe it.

"Sometimes, if you want something to work out, you just have to trust. Lately I've been fucking up a lot of friendships by not trusting others," I say almost in a whisper, "That's why I stopped digging in on you. I trusted that it'll work out with Zayn if I just let it all go," I then finish my drink.

"You stopped? Then why do I get notified about someone still digging in on me?" he asks, so I look at him. I frown.

"Don't know. Not me," I say, "I actually stopped when I said I did," I take out my phone and open my messages with Vincent. I find the text where I said I don't want any information and show it to Harry. He nods.

"Well, then I'll find out who's still digging," he grins. That's when I realise it's Louis. But I don't look at him, I won't fuck him over. I now nod.

"You know, if you promise me I won't get hurt by you, I can promise I won't hurt you. In any way possible," I suggest, "We can be friends," I clear that up. He squints his eyes, but then he nods.

"Call it a friendship pact. Neither gets hurt by the other," he says and laughs. I laugh with him. Well, I guess I made a new friend. I'm curious how Zayn and Lilith will react to this friendship of ours.