Part Eighteen

Lilith

   Isabelle invited me to go shopping together. She said she needs a few new clothes and she doesn't want to go alone, so I'm joining her. I'm not really sure why she just didn't take Liam or someone... richer than me. So right now she's looking through shoes.

"So, I've got this Christmas ball happening soon that my mother is hosting, but I can't decide what I should wear," she speaks up while she compares two different shoes. I look at them. "Do I wear a dress or overalls?" she asks and looks at me, "By the way, you're invited too. By me," she tells me. I frown. She only tells me now? When we're doing the shopping?

"It sounds fancy and I just..." I stop because by now she would've interrupted me. That's what she does. But right now she's looking at me. Waiting for me to finish my sentence. "I don't feel too great about someone else paying for me," I frown. She might not get it. But she nods.

"You know you don't have to wear only fancy clothes. In fact, if you come, I'll wear normal clothes just like you if you'll feel better like that," she smiles at me. I frown. Now that's weird. I know I'm doubting her way too much, but there's this feeling that won't go away about her. I think she's playing Zayn and I don't like the fact that if we get closer as friends, it's going to hurt me. It already does which isn't great.

"Are you fucking with Zayn's feelings? What happened with you two?" I ask, changing the topic completely. I just have to know it before anything else happens. Her smile fades and she turns around. She decides on the black stilettos. She begins to walk towards the cash register.

"I'm not fucking with his feelings," she finally answers my question, "I may have hurt him, but I never intended to only play with his feelings. It's my parents who made this mess," she tells me. She gives the cashier a paper bill and takes the bag of her shoes. She also takes the change. Then she turns to me. "I told Zayn immediately when I found out I have to be together with Liam. Like literally, no waiting. No hesitation." she says and we both walk to the exit. Okay, I guess that Harry was right about this... They aren't together because they want each other.

"He called me crying on Sunday. He told me nothing happened, but when you didn't say anything when Ana told you to go back to being an online student, I figured something happened," I explain why I'm even asking, "Then, today with Harry... It confused me that you didn't even say he lied about your relationship with Liam being fake," I frown again. She nods. We walk in the next shop. This one has dresses and I already see a dress that is so beautiful. I stop to admire it. I touch the fabric to see what it's made of. Silk. Damn.

"Can I buy it for you?" she asks behind me. I look at her and frown. Shake my head. "As a Christmas present?" she tries to find a loophole. Now this attitude scares me to find out what she has planned for Christmas gifts. Knowing her, the gifts could be talking in thousands. And if I can't accept a gift like this, how am I supposed to accept a more expensive one.

"That dress probably costs more than I've ever earned in my entire life," I tell her and look back at the dress. I find a price tag and look at the price. I show it to her. "Well, maybe not more than I've ever earned in my entire life, but way more than I can let myself spend. It's five hundred," I sigh. She has a defeated look on her face. I know she won't force it on me, but she really does love trying it.

"Can you try it on?" she asks. I look at the dress. I fight between trying it on and leaving it be. "Please?" she adds. I sigh and give in. I take it. My hands slightly shake. I'm scared to damage it in any way because then someone will have to pay for it and I'd be too embarrassed to ask her to pay. We both go to the changing room where I get into one of the stalls. I undress and step into the dress. "So? Did you wear it?" I hear her get impatient. I close it and look at the mirror. A gasp leaves my mouth which makes her open the curtain mere seconds after. I see her in the mirror as she looks at me. The dress perfectly fits me and it makes me feel beautiful. And somewhat... Expensive. I look at her through the mirror.

"No! Don't even try that on me!" I stop her before she even speaks. She raises both her hands and sighs. I look at myself and I tear up. Fuck, why is this making me so emotional? She gives me a sympathetic look. "Fine. But only this time," I give in and immediately regret it because I know I'll feel like I'm in debt. And scared that she'd throw it in my face. She smiles and nods. Then she looks to her right.

"We're buying this one," she tells someone. A girl appears next to her and she nods. "But that's not it, we'll be looking for another dress as well." she tells her. The worker nods and goes aside. Isa looks at me and nods, shutting the curtain. I slowly get out of the dress. It felt so good on me. When I'm back in my usual clothes, I carefully take the dress and leave the stall. The worker takes the dress from me and goes to the checkout. It confuses me, but I don't say anything. They know better. Me and Isa go back to search for another dress. "So... Will you come to the ball now?" she quietly asks. I look at her. "Zayn will be there too. Well, I'm sure Liam will get him to come," she adds. I sigh and nod.

"Only because that dress is so fancy that I probably won't wear it again. I'll just let it stand in my room, possibly on a podium," I answer. She giggles. "I'm serious!" I say, but even I can't fight back a smile. She hums, agreeing. She stops at a dress. Looks at it. Then she's grimacing, going further. We stop at another dress. It's black as well. She slightly touches it and smiles. Takes it and looks at the size.

"It's satin," she whispers and puts it against her body to see how long it is. It reaches her ankles. And it's got a split on her left side. "I'm trying this on," she freely walks back to the changing room. I follow her and now I wait for her to wear the dress. It takes her way faster than it took me. She opens the curtain and shows me the dress. The dress has no shoulders, but long sleeves. "My hair will be up and I'll be displaying Liam's mother's heirloom. That is a necklace which costs more than our dresses together," she explains and sighs, "THAT... Is what scares me. It's more than a million, the necklace," she whispers. My eyes widen. They're trusting her with all their heart I see. "Anyway, this dress is perfect. Gosh, I've never found a perfect dress this fast," she says and looks in my eyes.

"It's beautiful on you," I comment, "It suits you and brings out your curves," I point out. She looks down and then back at me with a smile. A smile that reaches her eyes.

"Thanks," she thanks me. I close the curtain for her and then look at the girl who's standing by the cash register and looking at me. How the hell did I end up here with Isabelle? I thought I'd be at home... Eating a burger or something. Not shopping for expensive dresses. Or shoes. Or literally anything else.