Chapter 31- Two for One

☽☼~~~∞☾✩☽∞~~~☼☾

☽☼~~~∞☾✩☽∞~~~☼☾

"I think I'll need a beer after this," Jay muttered with a screw between his teeth as he and Hobi attempted to assemble the new crib for the nursery.

Emmaline laughed from her glider in the corner of the room as she folded the baby clothes that were freshly laundered. "Don't tell me a simple crib can drive you to drink!"

"I see its appeal," Hobi grunted, straightening the sideboard as best he could. "No, no, it says the headboard is piece C. You line the top and bottom holes up there!"

Emmy stopped folding to record a quick video of the guys bickering over proper spring washer placement to send to the group chat. She should probably leave them to it instead of distracting them with her commentary, but honestly, it was much too entertaining to watch as the two collectively lost their minds over a piece of furniture. Plus, she giggled like a schoolgirl whenever they said "bottom holes."

It also didn't hurt that they were such eye candy. Jay looked warm and cozy in black sweatpants with a Totoro tree sweater, and Hobi was in cuffed jeans, a white tee, and a creamsicle orange overshirt. He had borrowed her Loewe elephant crossbody bag and was using it as a hands-free way to hold the bolts, nuts, and screws. It wasn't particularly surprising because Jay and Hobi were definitely the types to take her only luxury bag and make it their toolbox. She was impressed that they were at least using the instructions, though.

The nursery was almost complete, with the baby's clothes folded and put in the dresser and the crib assembled. Hobi and Jay had painted the room a few days before. The walls were now navy, with purple and white accents scattered throughout. They hung their acrylic pouring creations on the walls in addition to a painting Jay made for the baby. His was a jack-in-the-box painting inspired by KAWS, an artist he'd been admiring recently. The colors of it matched the other paintings and the rest of the room to a T.

Jay and Emmy's plushies from Build-A-Bear were displayed on the dresser, as well as the turtle plushie from the Sea Turtle Center and a cute flamingo that Tae had won at a carnival and gifted to Hobi. One of the final touches was the mobile hanging over the crib.

Emmy grabbed the beautiful celestial piece that she had bought online. It was made of delicate stars and phases of the moon designed in hammered brass. She thought it completed the look of the nursery perfectly. She hung it on the mobile arm and stepped back to look at the finished product.

"It's just right," she said, rubbing her lower back as she looked around. It was still light enough to look like a child's room, but the galaxy inspiration for everything was well illustrated.

"Back hurting you, princess?" Hobi asked as he came up behind her. She nodded and sighed, constantly bothered by it at this point. She still had a few months left of her pregnancy, but the lower back pain was an everyday struggle.