Chapter 20- Amulet

☽☼~~~∞☾✩☽∞~~~☼☾

☽☼~~~∞☾✩☽∞~~~☼☾

The following week passed in a blur of work and sleep. Alexi had taken a much-needed vacation. Knowing Emmaline would take some maternity leave in a little over five months, he wanted to use his time off earlier in her pregnancy. The man was always considerate like that. It almost made her feel guilty for how many times she had wished he'd come back already. Almost.

She had two extra hands on deck with the additions of Hobi and Jay, but even still, the store wasn't moving with near the amount of efficiency it usually did. She used to zip around the store like the Energizer bunny, stocking new inventory and helping customers as a one-woman show. Now, she was spoiled from Alexi's superb management and moving significantly slower due to her aching feet and the round ligament pain that forced her to sit more often. She would need to give Lex a raise when he got back.

When Sunday evening came around, she wished simply to rest. She wanted a day where she didn't have to work and no chores or errands needed to be done. Unfortunately, past Emmy was over-enthusiastic and agreed to social plans that present Emmy didn't want to fulfill.

Nevertheless, she was sitting in front of her closet, glaring at its contents once again, betrayed by her lack of options. It wasn't as if nothing fit. She still had clothes that fit, sort of, at least. If she lifted her hands above her head, though, most of her shirts would ride up, and she was limited to yoga pants and leggings for bottoms. She could technically use one of the waistband extenders Jay picked up for her the week before, except it would be too pronounced with any of her tops.

She found maternity clothes to be a ripoff and had been avoiding buying them. Why buy clothes that you would wear for such a short time? As she fiddled with one of her favorite dresses that now appeared more like a clubbing outfit than a cute sundress, she was starting to see their appeal more and more.

If she was working, at home, or spending time with her friends and coven, she could wear whatever and not feel judged. This, however, was a proper dinner party. One held in her honor, no less. She couldn't very well show up in leggings and an oversized t-shirt with her unruly hair up in a messy bun, could she?

"I'M HERE BITCHES! All of you better be decent! Or exhibitionists!" she heard Anisa holler through the house. She hadn't heard a knock on the door, so she must have used her spare key.

"IN HERE, ISSA!" Emmy shouted, still seated on the floor in her x-rated sundress.

"Did we move the dinner party to the strip club? Cause I am SO down," Anisa laughed from the doorway, eyeing Emmy's outfit with a mix of humor and distaste.

"Hey! No strip clubs!" Hobi shouted from the other room, the girls snickering at the knee-jerk response.

"I have NOTHING, Issa. Nothing. Everything I have either doesn't fit or is too casual for a nice dinner party," Emmy grumbled. She could wear the black dress from her date night the week before, but that seemed almost too dressy for the occasion. She supposed being overdressed was better than being underdressed, but the neckline was rather revealing.