2. Proposal For One, Please?

—Faith

"We're going to Affluence City! Can you believe that?!" Ruth was practically hopping up and down like an excited little kid as we went back to our cabin. I don't think I have ever seen this excited—the same could be said for Sloan. "It's insane, right?! I can't remember the last time we ever got to go anywhere that isn't related to the military!" Sloan said to her as both squealed and hugged each other, jumping simultaneously and both laughing.

Meanwhile, I was sort of disappointed. I was happy that we were going to Affluence City for a whole weekend. But at the same time, I can't help but feel like something was missing—that someone was missing from this event. The only person that I could think of was John.

"But wait—you guys!" I stopped them all. "What is it?" Alice said to me. "What about John?" I ask the girls. They all gave each other an I-don't-know-what-to-say-about-that kind of glance. "Seriously, we can't go to Affluence City without him! He's been with us this whole time plus he pretty much did save us and Lt. General Hoffman from danger—the kind that would have killed us all if John hadn't gotten in the way. Don't you think John at least deserves a chance to relax like the rest of us?" I ask them. Sloan and Ruth shared a guilty glance. Alice did too. Annika and Nina however remained expressionless; knowing them, I shouldn't ask why they felt that way.

"Hello!" Frostine came out of her bedroom, yawning exhaustedly. "Jesus, what's wrong with all of you? Why the long faces?" She asks, glancing at each one of us with a confused stare. "We're all going to be going to Affluence City this Friday—you included," I said to her. "Sweet!" She said. "Sure, but the thing is... John can't come with us." I said afterward. "What? Why?" She asks, taken aback by the response. It still came as a shock to find out that Frostine and John had already become friends even though they had only known each other for so little time. I always believed that John was just that likable, even for a human. He was a human—a member of our greatest enemies—yet he was making friends with us. I couldn't bring myself to hate John. If anything, I owe him my life. He saved mine—he saved theirs—he saved Lt. General Hoffman's life—but not once did he ever flinch, hesitate or even regret his decisions. I see this as proof that humans and anthros can still coexist, but it would take time and effort to see if that is true. If the humans die and John remains the only human left, then I guess all we can do is keep him safe from the other anthros. Deep down, I still hold out for the hope that humans and Anthros can come together as one.

The thing about being cognizant is that when you look at something else that is bigger and stronger than you, you can't help but feel like it can potentially be dangerous and act against you for being weaker, leaving you afraid for your life. It leaves you to be afraid of what you can't understand—that's exactly how humans viewed us.

Even when all we wanted was to live in peace just like them. They saw us as monsters when we didn't do anything wrong. It was our appearance that led them to be afraid of us. Their fears of the unknown are what made them wage war against us when they didn't even try to understand what we were... or who we were.

I just hope we can still help them understand that what we wanted this whole time was concurrency. 

—John

As I was walking past the cabin of the Spec Ops Division (which is also the cabin I'm staying in because I'm also a part of the Spec Ops Division) I heard the girls from the inside laughing and cheering. "I guess they have every reason to be excited. I know I would be if I was given the chance to go." But I knew what would be a very bad idea. Why would I go somewhere where I know I am going to get attacked simply for being human? That seems like the stupidest idea to ever do. I walked outside to just think about being the only one who doesn't get to go, and the plans on attacking C.D.R.I, but my presence did not go unnoticed by three other anthros that I have grown to see as friends: Hogan, Dario, and Sable.