It Was Always Me

Written from Chloe's pov :)

Beca came into my life when everything was too much. Aubrey was constantly pressuring me about recruiting new Bellas, graduation was coming up, and I had just broken up with my boyfriend, Tom. When her and I met it was the opposite of the cliche "breath of fresh air." She was like a little grey cloud, and I always found myself trying to make her sun shine through. I took our friendship as a challenge almost. Like a test to see if I could break down her walls that were so perfectly placed around her. Sometimes I would break them down too far. I would see her thorns and reach for them, unaware of how they would make me bleed. Then, as if nothing happened, I would taste her sweet lips and forgive the pain. We both knew it was toxic, but that's the thing with toxic relationships. It's like an addiction you can't break.

There was good between us too, though. Beca was my other half. When I think back to the bad times, there was always one common factor. Every time we fought it was because I cared too much, and it overwhelmed her. I often wondered how to just love her less. When the bad times eventually became too much, we ended it. We were still kind of friends, mainly because of our co-captain roles for the Bellas. We also lived in the same house, so there was never a clean break from each other.

Tonight, we were working on the set for regionals together. We laid on Beca's bed with our laptops, keeping conversation at a minimum. I looked up from my computer at the sound of Amy coming into their shared room.

"Wait... you two?" Amy said while pointing at us suggestively.

No matter how many times we told her, Amy was in denial we ever broke up.

"Working on the set, Amy." We said simultaneously.

Amy rolled her eyes and left us alone.

"Ugh I can't get this song to merge right." Beca sighed while clicking around on her laptop.

Was it bad that I thought she looked hot when she was frustrated? Yeah, it was.

"I can try to help." I offered despite knowing nothing about producing a mashup. I usually just made the song list, and Beca did the hard part.

"Nah." She said, brushing me off.

I accidentally let out a little scoff. It was a bad habit of mine, but I couldn't help it.

"Care to share, Beale?" Beca asked.

"Share what exactly?" I said, playing dumb.

"Don't deny it, Chloe! I heard it too!" Amy shouted from the connected bathroom.

"I was just kicking myself for thinking you would actually ever accept my help." I said to her.

"You're really going to do this right now?" Beca asked.

I truly didn't want to pick a fight, but this was a big issue in our relationship. Beca could never accept the love I tried to give to her, and instead she shut me out.

"No, I'm not. I know how it's going to end, anyways." I said.

"How will it end?" She asked in a snarky tone.

"You're going to tell me I'm overstepping and to leave you alone." I responded.

"Yeah, well you probably were." She retorted.

"Don't you get it, Beca? I have always been there for you! Me! I have been there for you ever since you got here, and all I got in return was a cold shoulder." I snapped.

Amy slipped out of the room, pretending not to be aware of this argument.

"I need to finish my set." Is all she said back.