Chapter 65

Lisa's pov.

I was sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for the bell to remind us of the end of another ordinary day. Dad was definitely already out, ready to drive us home. He and mum had returned from their short trip on Sunday night with a lot of good memories to fill us with. Sadly, we didn't get to catch up on the news, as Arthur and I had been really sleepy. They had dismissed us to bed, letting us know with a big smile that they had a very good time. I was so happy about that!

When the familiar screeching sound pierced my ears, I quickly stuffed my things before closing my school bag and exiting the class. I heard a fade «goodbye» from our teacher as my feet were taking me away. My steps were quick, as I wasn't feeling like pumping into a certain person. Suddenly, someone called my name but I didn't answer them, keeping my pace steady. It was Katelyn, a first year student, probably searching for Sophia…

The sky, outside, was cloudless. The sun was glowing and as a consequence most of the people were walking slowly, admiring… Me myself would like to stroll and entirely worship everything encircling me. Of course, this was out of the question as my dad's car was parked, waiting for me.

My brother's form was distinguishable as I got closer. He was sitting inside talking with dad and I swiftly opened the door, taking a seat beside him. “Hi” I greeted both of them as soon as I appeared and fastened my seat belt with my things settled on my lap. “Hi” they repeated straight away and my dad's smile was there, warming my heart up. We got the rest to talk about school and how good the trip was with further details this time.

The distinctive sound of running out of gas passed through my ears. It will unquestionably require replenishing soon but fortunately we had already made it to home, a place where our mum had gathered all the necessary components to cook our preferred meal.

The smell had engulfed every single room, as we entered inside and we quickly went into the kitchen like hypnotized creatures to say hello to our mum, prior to ending up at our individual rooms. We needed to brace ourselves for lunch.

When we reappeared downstairs everything was perfectly set. The table was overflowing with a memorable aroma. A white tablecloth with beautiful wavy motifs was covering it, like the sky on a clear morning. The food was prepared on the top of it and the sight was enough alluring to make my stomach submit to it.

I plopped myself and automatically stuffed a bite in my mouth. The others could pause briefly to discuss but alas, I hadn't the ability to participate in their dialogue. Within minutes I caught my name amidst a rush of words. I goggled at Arthur. He was probably talking about the thought of going on our little journey and he obviously had alluded to me, mentioning how excited I was. Not that he was wrong, it was the first time I wanted to withdraw to a peaceful place, away from here. I could easily start babbling about the profits all day and night

Sophia had given up on me and Jamie beyond question that I didn't have the nerves to stay in the house, surrounded by four white hazy walls, lost in my thoughts.

“Lisa, that's amazing!” my mum exclaimed with joy.

“About what? The trip? It's nothing at all” I said trying to show more boredom than excitement. “No darling, it is. You seem happier and you finally get to leave the house for a little while. You don't go out as you used to and that's affecting you…i can see it”

When she was done talking, she checked dad like they had already approved this matter. “Of course we agree” she said, “But only if you are careful…all of you” dad added seconds later and granted a smile to mum after caressing her hair.

I was fighting hard not to cheer their judgment, as I could feel the cutting air permeate every single inch of my body, by now.

For the next few minutes, we sat and ate, each one of us with a beam on their faces. When my plate emptied, I waited for Arthur to finish as well, like a good sibling. Following, we both rose ready to head in our rooms again and complete our plain schoolwork.

Approaching upstairs, Arthur wheeled round in the direction of  me and offered me a tiny smile. However, his eyes were revealing anything but happiness… more like sadness. He was surely waiting to ask a serious question and I couldn't say that I wasn't ready for it. I was even sure of the content.

“So…how is it going?” The awkwardness in his voice and the way he was constantly coughing, as if he wanted me to get the point, made me comprehend that I was right. He longed to utter the name Sophia and release it but even when I waited for it, still the only thing enveloping us was the silence.

Gazing at him, I saw for the first time this well-known feeling that I could only spot in Jamie's eyes. Awareness of what I was going through and that it wasn't still the time to discuss all these. At least that was my opinion. I wanted to have fun and not pondering our arguments with Sophia

Without saying much more, I gave him a small assent for the way he backed off and then each of us went to their room, but not without sharing one last tight hug

I hope you liked it

Leave comments so I know what you liked and what you didn't.❤️

Goodbye!