Chapter 69

Lisa's pov.

An odd sound reverberated throughout, making Arthur turn around and stare at me worriedly, “What was that?” he questioned, sauntering near to me. I just rolled my eyes in his overreaction and kept roaming, careful not to stomp on something and startle him again. Seconds later, I heard him take a deep breath just like he did thousands of times from the moment we stepped outside the hut. “You know we have to be careful, right? It's past midnight and it might be dangerous” he whispered to me, almost clinging to my body. He was murmuring about the same thing over and over again. I swear to God, I could feel the pain starting to form in my head. “Yeah, most likely the ghosts will show up and take us” I said plainly while trying hard to pry my numb hand out of Arthur's tight embrace, “Ha ha, funny…” his fake snicker reached my ears and I spun around only to study his serious features. I laughed a little at that, as I caught the word ghost changing his whole mood. “Relax, I'm just messing with you” I uttered cheerfully to him after releasing a snort. He let a small pant escape, allowing me to know that everything was fine, “I don't mind it at all. Seeing that small smile is what we all need right now”. I felt pacified by his statement. I wanted to pause and give him a big hug but this was not the time for that.

The only thing that should be in my mind at the present moment, was our small kind of mission, which we had to succeed. Back at the hut, after Alice's little inspiring speech, we settled upon…or more spectacularly, I came up with a brilliant plan and the others came to terms with it.

Yes even Geo.

I had to think about a lot of details before the actual action and various of them had to be put aside, but the one thing I was aware of, was that we couldn't do it alone. We needed one more person to assist us and I knew the perfect one. But first we had to get internet to make the call and that's where me and my brother took part. We all together decided that it was better if the two of us made our way out of the forest in the middle of the night, in order to reach the specific person.

“Hey Lisa, I think I see Alice's car…oh and there's Sophia's. Let's go” Arthur started running towards the end of the forest and I stayed still looking at him, before I processed that we had finally arrived at our destination. I followed him, finding ourselves looking for a spot where we could get internet. We were going back and forth without stopping for quite some time, until I could see one of the bars on my phone was full. “Arthur…” I shouted breathlessly “…here, come”. Both of our excitements were indescribable as we stayed close to the road, trying to find the right number. “I just hope he is awake” I whispered “Yes me too.” I dialed the number and brought it close to my ear, wishing for a quick answer.

First ring nothing,

Second ring nothing again,

In the third ring, I heard the distinctive sound of someone picking it up “Hey Lisa, are you okay?” Jamie asked worried. In other circumstances I would have blushed from his thick sleepy voice and the way he cared about me but that wasn't the case right now. “Fortunately…” I cried out in happiness and then ranted on without pausing to breathe. “I hope I don't bother, which I probably do, but we need your help. I need you to go to Sophia's house and see if her mother is there. If she is, please inform her that we are coming and Sophia is here with us. Don't worry, I'll tell you everything from up close. See you!” I didn't close it until I heard a confused ok. I looked at my brother and with a deep breath we both started running towards the hut once again.

•••••••••••••••

It wasn't long before a worried woman came out of the house and embraced Sophia in her tight hug. I could see the tears dropping and she didn't even make a move to sweep them away. I stayed still, looking at them with my own tears ready to spill. I wanted to let myself cry from the moment me and Arthur found Sophia but instead I kept them locked inside, something that I probably shouldn't have done.