Chapter 68

Lisa's pov.

A loud laugh echoed around. I was holding mine back, as Geo and Arthur had a stupid argument about how we should spend our time. Geo had voted for truth or dare, something my brother didn't agree with.

Me and Alice were sitting at the couch, observing the sight in front of us with a silly smile. “Oh, come on you two just make up your mind!” shouted Alice, interrupting their playful dispute. They just looked at her with fear in their eyes as she started talking again, taking matters into her own hands. It was so fun.

Suddenly between the voices, I heard something from outside.

The others continued chatting as if they had perceived nothing, “Hey guys, did you hear that?” I asked, trying to intrude in their conversation. Arthur was the one that finally turned towards me and reassured me “Don't worry Liz it was probably an animal” in the end he cracked me a smile and went back to chattering. I nodded, trying to convince myself that what he was saying made sense. I took a deep breath and relaxed back on the couch. It took a few minutes for my heart rate to slow down and return to its normal one. But again, unanticipatedly, the same sound as before was repeated, piercing my ears.

This time it was closer…

I immediately stood up, causing all the attention to be drawn to me. They had shocked expressions on their faces as they were trying to examine mine, which had been distorted by fear. Something was outside and it wasn't just a mini innocent animal searching for food. I had a feeling…The others seemed complicated with my sudden reaction and the way I had dived to my thoughts. I was lost in my mind when Alice called my name hesitantly. I focussed on her but I avoided answering and unhesitatingly headed to the door, grabbing the knob tightly, “I'm going outside to check” I whispered “Stay here it won't be long” I, then, added right after, as I was sure they would try to stop me.

Arthur let out a scream of frustration as he was the one to fear more and at that point came towards me, adjoining me, “I'm coming with you” he continued while looking at me. With a swift move I turned the knob and opened the door wide enough for us to get out. “Jeez Lisa…let's go” he muttered, still angry and stepped closer to the trees. Fortunately, the sky was clear of clouds, so it was easier to find our way without much light. “So, what now?”. Well… “We could look around the house for…” I didn't get to complete my suggestion as Arthur cut me off, again “…a small animal”. Rolling my eyes, I did as I planned and walked in front of him. He couldn't do anything else but follow me.

Lamentably, I could shy away from his expressions but I couldn't say the same about his complaints “Come on Lisa, I know you might be afraid but we are in a forest. There are so many animals here”. More and more were falling like drops on me. And then as I was ready to turn around and say something back, my eyes caught sight of something that made me stop. My heart started pumping like crazy and it was difficult to even form any words. Even when Arthur pumped into me, I didn't dare to move. He was about to ask something, but suddenly he looked where I was peering. To say the least he was shocked.

“What the…”

But I didn't let him finish as I let the only word I could form escape slowly and falteringly, “Sophia?” she looked at me, her face illuminated by the fire that she was holding. I didn't dare to look down, probably because I knew what was awaiting me.

I could even smell it in the air…

“Li…Lisa?” I wanted to yell at her, tell her to shut up but I couldn't move, not even a muscle. My eyes were getting wet, it was as if my heart had stopped. Arthur was the one that brought me to the real world again. I felt his hand wrapping around my wrist, moving in front of me. His statue reminded me of our youth when he used to protect me. “Lisa?” She called for me again. My eyes were following every movement of hers, leaving Arthur's questioned look. Sophia was slowly looming towards me with blank eyes. It was like she didn't know what was going on. I could see her legs trembling…and her steps, something was definitely wrong with them. It seemed like she was trying to find her balance but she couldn't. I wanted to help her, for some unknown reason, even if I had imagined what would happen if we didn't get out at the right time. I went to take a step but Arthur prevented me with his strong grip, frightened. “She's drunk” I declared “Yes, I can see it…”. He was craving to ask something else too, I could hear it in his voice.