Chapter 44 (Gage)

---

I just woke up from sleep when I was informed my brother left the castle. I was so shocked I stared at the servant for a few seconds before standing up.

I went downstairs to look for my parents. I don't know if I'll believe the maid or not. But if she's telling the truth, then why will my brother leave? I don't understand.

"Mother, what's happening?" I was confused when I asked.

She was with some guards and is talking to them in the living room. Father isn't here.

"Your brother's missing. We discovered he left because there's a letter."

My brows furrowed. Why would he leave?

I took the letter out of my mother's hand and read it. It says...

The responsibility of being the next King burdens me. I've been training my whole life for it but I can't seem to be ready. I don't think I can marry Lady Anikka because of this. I don't know when I'll be back but please don't look for me. - Grant

That was the start of my fear.

I thought I was only overthinking things but then, the time has come when I was informed that my brother will not be the inheritor of the thrown anymore because he's been gone for months now. I will be the one to inherit it but on one condition, marry Lady Anikka.

I was so surprised.

"Mother, Grant loves her. We can't marry. What if he comes back? I know he'll come back." I told her.

We're in her office. I visited her to talk things through.

"I doubt, Gage. He won't leave her if he loves her." She wasn't even looking at me and is busy with some papers.

I sighed, "But I don't want to marry her."

Her brows furrowed and looked at me. I pursed my lips and looked at her seriously. She knows she can't make me follow. Between Grant and I, I'm the one who rebels often. So I know this act of my brother surprised them a lot.

It wasn't a surprise to me though. I'm aware of the pressure my brother gets from my parents. I knew sooner or later he'll explode. But I didn't expect my parents to transfer all the burden to me!

"We have an agreement with them, Gage Lorenzo. This is for our people." Madiin sabi nito.

I didn't talk anymore. I was staring blankly at her. I don't know what to do. I don't want to follow her. I was never free here the reason I rebel to do things and explore. All my life I was busy learning about things. Academics, Martial arts, Guns, Grenades, everything... Even simple details must be learned.

It was annoying, to be honest, but we have no choice. This is our life. We were also taught to care for the people.

But maybe, they didn't teach me well.

"We'll have your engagement announcement with Lady Anikka on the weekends. Prepare yourself." My mother visited me inside my room just to say this before leaving immediately.

My jaw clenched. No, I'm not that weak to let everything in my life be controlled. Nah, I'll never.

I'm surprised they really expect me to do it. I can't even follow them whenever they schedule the things I have to do every day, what more this marriage?

I felt so evil chuckling all alone inside my room.

I stood up and planned my escape. It wasn't that hard. I even brought a lot of money. Damn, I have no plans of being poor outside this country. That's gonna make life hard for me.