Chapter 40

---

I blinked a few times. My heart... felt cold and warm at the same time.

He took a deep breath before his eyes looked at our intertwined hands. Marahan niya iyong hinaplos.

"I'm sorry for leaving you alone in Japan." Mahina nitong sabi, halos bulong. "I panicked that Anikka will get to know your existence. She loves my brother but she was desperate to marry me, too. I can't help but..." I saw him tightly close his eyes.

Napalunok ako.

I can't believe that all of a sudden, we're now talking about the past.

Regrets and... pain.

"I can't help but leave immediately before she digs where am I. Hindi na ako nakapag paalam..." Mahinang sabi nito, may pagka bulol pa ng konti. "You were hurting at that time, too. You were busy. Still, I know it's wrong to just leave, I'm sorry."

I bit my lips as I felt my eyes water. Umiinit ang magkabilang gilid non.

I looked away, "But you also disappeared, Gage. Hindi mo sadya... pero nawala ka ng parang bula."

Hindi ko pa alam ang tungkol sa fiancé niya ay nawala na ito. I can still remember how he didn't contact me nor tell me about his plans. Hindi niya sinabi na mag dodrop out siya. Hindi rin ito nag paalam o nagsabi kung nasaan siya. I was worried for days.

"I'm sorry," hinigpitan nito ang hawak sa kamay ko. "It was wrong. I'm sorry..."

Napasinghap ako para mapigilan ang pagtulo ng luha. I don't want to cry. Now that we're talking about it, I want to give my full attention to it. I want to know... Baka makatulong ito para mabawasan ang sakit na nararamdaman ko.

"Why did you do it?" It was a simple question but I know, it'll help ease my worries.

He took a deep breath and then our eyes met. He looked into my eyes.

"Because Anikka still discovered about you. She wanted me to do those, in exchange of not... not telling my parents I was here in the Philippines." He bit his lip. "If I won't do that, I'm sure she'll tell my parents. They'll find me and once they do so... I'm sure we have to marry as soon as possible. I don't want that." He shook his head, telling me he really didn't want it.

Kumunot ang noo ko, "Bakit alam ni Anikka kung nasaan ka? While your parents doesn't?"

"I went here before college started. Then a year after, she found me. I also don't understand how she didn't tell my parents because she was also showing me how desperate she wants us to be married for our people." Kumunot ang noo nito, pero napailing rin. "I later on found out she wanted us to marry not to really be married, but so she can trigger my brother and he'll show up. He'll go back to her."

Kalmado ang boses nito habang nagsasalita. I was just listening, staring intently. The way he tells me feels like I was also seeing it. Parang naiimagine ko ang mangyayari.

"But she was never successful. She wasn't able to drag me to the church." He bit his lip. "I again escaped after what happened to us. That time, I made sure I will be more cautious. I looked for my brother for about two years."

Umawang ang labi ko, "Ganon katagal?"

He nodded, "He's good at hiding. Especially since he already has properties on his own which we didn't know... I was traveling to different countries just to find him."

Gulat man ay tumango pa rin ako. Now I'm invested as to what happened to Anikka and Grant.

"And then?" I asked.