CHAPTER 26: A Concussed Dream

"We've got a lot of ground to cover." Rick stated the next morning as we all prepared to go out looking for the girls. "All right, everyone's getting new search grids today. If they made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl and Y/n found..."

    "They did make it as far as the farmhouse." I pointed out unamused.

    "They must have gone further east than we've been so far." Rick changed his tone at my remark.

    "I'd like to help." Jimmy, Hershel's teenage boy, asked as he approached us. "I know the area pretty well and stuff."

    "Hershel's okay with this?" Rick asked curiously and the boy shrugged.

    "Yeah. Yeah. He said I should ask you." Jimmy replied almost nervously.

    "All right then, thanks." Rick said slapping him on the shoulder in appreciation.

    "Nothing about what Daryl and Y/n found screams Charlotte or Sophia to me. My girl's smart. She would have stayed put had she found someplace safe. Eating anchovies? Even more doubtful. She tried 'em before and hated 'em. Anyone could have been holed up in that farmhouse." Shane scoffed, sitting on the floor of Carol's vehicle we all surrounded. The door wide open.

    "So she's your girl again?" I scoffed before my mouth could comprehend what I was saying.

    "Anybody includes her, right?" Andrea asked.

    "Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high." Daryl pointed out with a scowl on his face. Making nearly the same size of Charlotte and Sophia.

    "It's the best lead we've had." I scoffed angrily.

    "Maybe we'll pick up her trail again." Rick stated.

    "No maybe about it. Y/n and I are going to borrow a horse, check back around the farmhouse and head up to this ridge right here, take a Birds Eye view of the whole grid. If they're up there. We'll spot 'em." Daryl said confidently.

If I wasn't so worried about my daughter I'd make a remark about how hot he was when he was so sure of himself.

    "Good idea." T-Dog agreed. "Maybe you'll see your chupacabra up there too."

    "Chupacabra?" Rick asked with a raised brow.

    "You never heard of this?" Dad asked as he came over. "Our first night in camp, Daryl tells us that the whole thing reminds him of a time when he went squirrel hunting and he saw a Chupacabra."

Jimmy let out a chuckle. Daryl heard him and he scoffed.

    "What are you braying at, Jackass?"

    "So you believe in a blood sucking dog?" He asked him incredulously.

    "And you believe in dead people walking around?" Daryl shot back shutting the kid up.

Jimmy tried to reach for one of the guns but Rick stopped him.

    "Hey, hey. Ever fire one before?" Rick questioned him.

    "Well, if I'm going out, I want one." Jimmy replied.

    "Yeah, and people in hell want slurpees." I chuckled placing my holster around my waist, only carrying my knifes with me.

    "Nice one." Daryl chuckled giving me a low five as we headed away from the group.

We grabbed the horse from the stable and Daryl took control of the reins. I sat on the back of the saddle with my arms wrapped around his waist and we rode off into the forest.