CHAPTER 57: Torn Apart

YOUR POV:

I rested in the car for a little while. Daryl dragged Merle's body closer to the car from the woods. I finally stood back up and stumbled my way over towards the others as they gathered around each other to speak.

"It won't work." Rick said shaking his head.

"What won't?" I asked curiously as I joined the others.

"Daryl wants to bring Merle back to the prison with us." Glenn scoffed.

"It's gotta." Daryl shrugged simply.

"It'll stir things up."

"Look, the Governor is probably on the way to the prison right now." Daryl mentioned. His eye's glancing my way as I flinched at the mention of the man. I knew he was worried about Charlotte being there without one of us. Hell, I was worried and the longer we debated the longer she'd be alone. "Merle knows how he thinks and we could use the muscle."

"Apparently not well enough." I scoffed to myself and I felt Maggie brush up against me with a sad smile.

"I'm not having him at the prison." Maggie told him softly.

"Do you really want him sleeping in the same cell block as Charlotte, Beth or Carol?" Glenn scoffed.

"He ain't a rapist." Daryl scoffed back.

"Well, his buddy is!" Glenn said angrily and I nearly gasped.

My eyes widened and both Maggie and I looked at Glenn shocked. My eyes filled with tears, as much as I tried to hold them back. Rick happened to notice us, but Daryl was to busy staring down Glenn.

"They ain't buddies no more. Not after last night."

I couldn't listen to this anymore. My mind flooded with images from last night. I quickly turned away ashamed of myself, guilt and anger filled me. Anger at Merle for even putting me in that position. Guilt for not being able to do more to get myself out of that position. And even though he didn't know what happened. I was mad at Daryl. Mad at him for once again taking his brother's side. So I walked away towards the car.

I sat in the open trunk swinging my legs back and forth. My mind just strictly torturing me by playing back that moment until everything went black consistently. Over and over. I jumped slightly as someone touched my arm. Daryl looked at me cautiously and he gestured for me to follow after him. I grabbed his arm he held out for me and we walked towards the tree line away from the others.

"Are you okay?" Daryl asked. "You've been off ever since we rescued you."

"I was just held hostage, do you really expect me to be okay?" I quipped and Daryl raised an eyebrow. I let out a small sigh, feeling a little bad for being so snappy. "I'm okay, just tired and ready to get back to the prison. So what's the verdict?" I asked wanting to change the subject.

"Well, Merle's not welcome at the prison." Daryl shrugged and I sighed. "So, we're leaving with him."

"Whoa, wait. What?" I scoffed and pulled myself away from him.

"Merle ain't welcome at the prison, either he comes or we go. Merle's blood. We were together before this we can do it again."

"And what about Charlotte?" I asked astounded.

"We'll have someone bring her to us." He shrugged. "It'll be just the four of us."

"I don't want that, Daryl." I stated and he looked at me surprised. "I-I don't want that. That's not a life for a child. Living on the road? Daryl, you're not thinking straight. She's 14. She's still a child. She need stability. Not living off the road, struggling even more than we already are."