CHAPTER 60: DARYL'S POV: Left Behind

DARYL'S POV:

    "Smells to me like the Sawhatchee Creek." Merle pointed out as we walked.

    "We didn't go west enough." I shrugged. "The river down there, it's got to be the Yellow Jacket."

    "You have a stroke, boy?" Merle scoffed. "We ain't never even come close to Yellow Jacket."

    "Nah, we didn't go west. Just a little bit south. That's what I think." I replied looking around into the break of the trees and to the sky.

    "Know what I think?" Merle scoffed. "I may have lost my hand, but you lost your sense of direction."

    "Yeah, we'll see." I scoffed back.

    "What do you wanna bet?"

    "I don't wanna bet nothin'. It's just a body of water. Why's everything gotta be a competition with you?" I asked annoyed. I stopped walking and turned looking around. I swear I could hear something.

    "Whoa, whoa. Take it easy, little brother." Merle mentioned. The sound began to get a little louder and it sounded like... A baby? "Just trying to have a little fun here. No need to get Y/n's panties all in a bundle."

    "Shut up, man." I hissed. "You hear that?"

    "Yeah, wild animals getting wild." Merle said obliviously.

    "No, it's a baby." I declared.

    "Oh, come on." Merle groaned. "Why don't. You just piss in my ear and tell me it's raining, too? That there's the sound of a couple of coons making love, sweet love. Know what I mean?" He smirked.

I looked at my brother in disbelief. I pushed past him as he chuckled and I began to follow the sound of the babies cries. The further I walked through the forest the louder the sound became. I could also hear the snarling of walkers and someone yelling in Spanish. I made it down to the river bed and looked up seeing a bridge. A man was standing on top of a vehicle shooting bullets at the walkers that were surrounding them. Trapping them on the bridge.

    "Hey! Jump!" Merle yelled with a laugh.

I looked at him disgusted. I couldn't remember how we ever got along before. I suppose we didn't, I just tolerated it. Maybe, Y/n and Charlotte really had changed me. I liked who I was and I wasn't about to let these people die. Not without attempting to save them. I scoffed and walked around Merle towards the bridge.

    "What? Hey, man. I ain't wasting my bullets on a couple of strangers that ain't never cooked me a meal or felicitated my piece. That's my policy. You'd be wise to adopt it, brother." Merle ranted as I ran through the woods.

I came upon the bridge, seeing two people now on the back on a flat bed shooting at the walkers. The car on the bridge was also surrounded by some walkers. The baby cries were coming from the car. One of the men on the flatbed was about to get bit by a walker as it grabbed a hold of his pant leg. I loaded an arrow into my cross bow and aimed. Letting the trigger go and the arrow fly. It hit the target walker and killed it, knocking it away from the men.

As more walkers began to approach me, I loaded in another arrow and took out another walker. I stepped up too it and tore my arrow back out of it's head. The walkers around began to snarl louder and come towards me, keeping them distracted and away from the car. I took my arrow in my hand and stabbed it into the head of another walker. More were coming and Merle was being useless.

    "Come on, man. I'm trying to help you out! Cover me!" I yelled to the men on the flat bed looking for some help.

One of them moved quickly, jumping off and to the ground fumbling around for a gun. He got back up and raised it, firing it into the brain of another walker near by, taking it out. I looked towards the car, seeing the woman inside rocking her baby and she looked to be praying. I began to shoot down the walkers surrounding the vehicle to clear it for them.