CHAPTER 25: A Cherokee Rose

The next morning we had all pitched in to help get the rocks for the grave we were going to be using for Otis. Sure it was going to be empty since there was no body. But it meant the world to his family, so it was the least we could do. I stayed as far from Shane as I could. Something about him seemed even more off. He seemed crazier than before. He also had shaved his head last night after getting all cleaned up from our journey. Maggie had lent me some more clothes seeing as we were about the same size. The Greene's so far seemed to be a good family. A kind group of people who had been surprisingly left untouched besides a few losses.

As we were gathering rocks, a motorcycle in the distance made my ears perk. Daryl and the others were on there way to us. Soon they were coming into sight and driving up the driveway. As soon as Daryl got off his motorcycle I walked down the steps and walked towards him with a hopeful look in my eyes. He shook his head and I sighed, walking to him into his arms and he held me tight. Dad walked over and rubbed my back looking at the others as they came out to greet them.

    "How is he?" Dad asked concerned.

    "He'll pull through." Lori said with a tight smile on her face. "Thanks to Hershel and his people and..."

    "And Shane and Y/n." Rick mentioned making me look up at him from Daryl's chest. "We'd have lost Carl if not for them."

When he nodded at me, I just gave a weak nod back. My stomach turned with guilt and fear...

~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone greeted one another and we were all led down to one of the lower fields. Helping place the rocks we had collected over an empty grave. The sight nearly made me sick to my stomach just thinking about what had happened. I wanted so badly to tell them the truth, but I couldn't risk it. Shane had gone off the deep end and I truly believed he was capable of killing one of us.

    "Blessed be god, father of our lord Jesus Christ." Hershel read from my holy bible, officiating the funeral. "Praise be to him for the gift of other brother, Otis. For his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace. Y/n, Shane, will you speak for Otis?" Hershel asked looking over between us.

My eyes widened standing beside Daryl on the opposite side of where Shane was standing. I gulped and shook my head.

    "I'm not good at it." Shane said lowly. "I'm sorry."

    "You were the last two with him. You shared his final moments. Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning." Patricia begged us.

I sighed. Daryl gave my hand a little squeeze of encouragement. As we separated, I walked to stand over beside Shane. Keeping my head and eyes to the ground. I suddenly felt Shane's hand slip into mine and I gulped too afraid to pull away.

    "Okay." Shane nodded as he had taken my hand. "We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limpin'. So was Y/n. It was bad. Ankles all swelled up. 'We got to save the boy,' see, that's what he said. He gave Y/n his back pack. He shoved me ahead. 'You two run, help each other and run', he said. He said, 'I'll take the rear and cover you.' I didn't stop running, dragging my wife with me. I turned back only for a moment... If not for Otis, my wife and I would have never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved the three of us. If any death ever had meaning, it was his."

Shane had let go of my hand and walked forward placing a rock on the giant stone pile. I moved forward and did the same in respect for him. Quickly moving away from the group of people. Now that the funeral was over, I was focused on the one thing that really mattered to me. Finding my daughter. I walked into the RV trying to calm my racing heart. Trying to get my breathing under control. I sat on the bed and placed my head in my hands.