CHAPTER 10: The Attack on Camp

"Mom? What was Jim talking about before?" Charlotte asked as we walked away from Jim giving him some space as Dad and Shane tied him up to a tree.

"Sweet pea, don't you worry you're pretty little head about it." I insisted but she looked up at me with her deep blues, not believing me for a second. I sighed. "Charlotte, Daddy and I are just having a little... tiff right now. That's all. I told him earlier I was gonna spend the night with you in the RV so we could both have some head space before we reconvened to talk about why we were fighting."

"You and Daddy, hardly ever fight." Charlotte pointed out. "And when you do you've never had to take a break before."

"Well, sure we do, Charlie. You just wouldn't know it." I laughed. "That's why we take breaks so we don't fight as often. That doesn't mean, Daddy and I don't love each other anymore or that we're done. We're just breaking from talking about what was bothering us until we can talk in a civil manner about it." I shrugged.

"You're mama's absolutely right." Shane chuckled behind us. We stopped and turned and Charlotte ran over to him. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "You're Mother and I love you so much. We can't stand fighting, so to be sure that we don't say somethin' we'll regret. We take breaks."

"I guess that makes sense." Charlotte agreed. "As long as you don't separate forever." She mentioned as she skipped off towards the other kids to do her schooling.

"Well, Mama. You heard the girl. As long as we don't separate forever. So what do you say?" Shane said slyly and I scoffed playfully.

"Yeah, okay. We aren't talking about this yet. So don't try and smooth talk your way into it. I'm still really mad at you." I said walking away. Only for him to be going in the same direction.

We walked forward to go check on Jim. Meeting up with my Dad as we got there. I grabbed the pail from him and bent down.

"Jim? You wanna take some water?" I asked softly.

"All right." Jim agreed.

I grabbed the mug and began lifting it to his mouth and helping pour it down his throat. Seeing as his hands were tied along with the rest of him to a tree.

"Do you mind pouring some on my head?" He asked gently.

"Of course." I said quickly and filled the cup back up. I poured it over his head slowly and he seemed to really enjoy it. "Better?"

"Yeah. How long are you guys gonna keep me like this?" Jim asked quietly mainly looking at Shane.

"Well, until I don't think you're a danger to yourself or others."

"I'm sorry, I scared your girls or if I scared your boy." Jim said looking over at the table where the kids sat doing their school work.

"You had sun stroke. Nobody's blaming you." Lori said.

"You're not scared now are ya?" Jim asked directed at the kids.

"No, sir." They all replied.

"Jim," I said gaining his attention. "Do you remember why you were diggin'?"

"I had a reason. Don't remember." Jim answered quickly. "Something I dreamt last night. You were in it. So were you and you." Jim explained looking at Carl, Charlotte and I. "You're dad was in it, so was Daryl and you were all worried. Can't remember the rest. You worried about your Dad? You worried about Daryl?"

"Well, they're not back yet." Charlotte said, showing some concern on her face I didn't even know she harbored.

"We don't need to talk about that." Lori cut in before Carl could speak.