CHAPTER 49: A Bundle Of Joy

Daryl waved his hand in front of Rick's face. He was just staring blankly in shock.

"Let me see the baby." Hershel said and I nodded, walking her over to him.

"What are we gonna feed it?" Daryl asked. "We got anything a baby can eat?"

"The good news is she looks healthy." Hershel said as he peeked at her in my arms. "But she'll need formula. And soon or she won't survive."

"Nope. No way. Not her." Daryl stated. "We ain't losing nobody else. I'm going on a run."

"I'm coming too. I know what to look for." I said and he nodded.

"I'll back you up." Maggie said and I nodded at her.

"I'll go too." Glenn nodded.

"Okay, think of where we're going." Daryl said and he turned to Beth as I was handing her the baby. "Kid just lost his Mom. His Dad ain't doing so hot. You mind lookin in on 'em and Charlotte?"

"I'll look after them." Beth nodded.

"Thanks, honey." I hugged her quickly. "Oh, sweetie. We'll be right back with some food." I cooed at the baby.

"You two get the fence." Daryl pointed at Axel and Oscar. "Too many pile up we got ourselves a problem."

We ran through the gated area and towards the vehicles.

"There's the piggly wiggly on 85." Glenn suggested.

"No, that baby sections been cleared." I shook my head. "Maggie and I checked there."

"Lori asked for us to keep an eye out." Maggie said. "We haven't had much luck."

"Is there any place that hasn't been completely looted?" Daryl asked.

"We saw signs for a shopping center just north of here." Glenn informed Daryl.

"But there's too much debris on the road." I reminded him.

"A car will never get through there." Maggie said.

"I can take one of you." Daryl stated as he moved away from the car and towards his motorcycle.

"I'll go." I stated and moved towards him.

"You sure?" Daryl asked and I nodded.

"I want to go. It's for Lori, I have too."

I hopped on the back of the bike and I wrapped my hands around Daryl's waist. We sped off down the road not before long spying out a old daycare center. I motioned for Daryl to head over and he pulled the bike over.

"Company's closed. Stay close to me." Daryl said as I get off the bike.

I walked over and opened up the gate to the old playground. I walked towards the small building and checked the windows. Couldn't see much so I hit one with the butt of my gun. I crawled inside through the window, still no geeks having shown themselves. Daryl climbed in after me and I found an old diaper bag. I started grabbing anything I could find and tossing it inside to take with me.

"What am I even looking for?" Daryl whispered as he held up what looked to be an old burb rag.

"Anything." I laughed. "Baby bottles, diapers, clean blankies and newborn clothes. Burp rags, pacifiers..."

"All right. Anything it is." Daryl said rolling his eyes.

We both began to search the place, going in different directions. Suddenly we heard some scratching sounds. I looked down the hall, seeing Daryl immediately head back towards me. We entered the old kitchen and he motioned for me to pull open the closet door aiming his crossbow. I nodded and put my flashlight in my mouth, knife in the other hand while I opened up the door. It swung open and I prepared to smash the walker's head in, but it was only a possum. It hissed and Daryl shot it, hitting it with his arrow.