CHAPTER 40: The End Of A Reign Of Terror

I ran off towards the woods and caught up to the guys.

     "I saw him head up through the trees that way before I blacked out." Shane mentioned. "I'm not sure how long."

     "He couldn't have gotten far." Rick said.

     "Y/n?" Daryl hissed as I ran up beside him. "What are you doin'? You should be inside with Charlotte and the others."

     "I don't trust him, Daryl. I'm not about to let you all go off alone with him." I hissed back. "Even if he is telling the truth. Which I highly doubt." I grumbled.

     "I don't trust him neither." Daryl whispered back and sighed. "You stay close, you hear?"

    I nodded and pulled my gun out holding it down at my side with two hands as we moved around the woods.

     "Rick's right." I spoke up making them all turn to look at me surprised that I was there. "He's hobbled and exhausted."

     "And armed." Glenn nodded at me and I nodded back.

     "So are we." Rick stated. "Can you track him?" He asked looking at Daryl.

     "Nah, I don't see nothin'." Daryl shook his head as he looked along the ground.

     "Hey, look, there ain't no use in tracking him, okay?" Shane scoffed. Daryl and I looked at each other carefully. "He went that way. We need to pair up, spread out. We just chase him down. That's it."

     "The kids weighs a buck twenty five soaking wet. You're trying to tell us he got the jump on you?" Daryl questioned Shane.

     "I'd say a rock pretty much evens those odds, wouldn't you?" Shane growled at him.

     "All right, all right. Knock it off." Rick said getting between them. "You, Glenn and Y/n start heading up the right flank. Me and Shane will take the left."

     "No, I'm gonna come with you." I stepped towards them confidently. If there was anyone I didn't trust Shane alone with besides Daryl and Charlotte, it was Rick.

     "Y/n, no." Daryl shook his head and I put my hand up. 

     "I can handle myself." I stated. "He got the jump on Shane once, so he's weaker. No need letting Rick get hurt too. Stronger groups divided this way." I shrugged.

     "I ain't weak." Shane snarled moving towards me and I put my hand on my gun and glared at him unafraid.

     "Y/n, I appreciate the thought. But we'll be fine." Rick gave me a knowing look. He knew too that it was a set up. "Go, we're losing the light. Remember, Randall's not the only threat out there. Keep an eye out for each other."

~~~~~~~~~~

     "This is pointless." I sighed as we walked through the forest at night. Barely able to see a few feet in front of us. "We shouldn't have let them go off alone." I grumbled annoyed. Daryl looked at me and I heard a small sigh.

     "You got a light?" Daryl asked either of us. Glenn nodded and pulled a small flashlight from his pocket and handed it to Daryl. "Come on." He said as he led us back in the direction we had come from almost towards the shed again...

     "We're just back to square one." Glenn mentioned concerned.

     "If you're gonna do a thing, you might as well do it right." Daryl pointed out. "There's two sets of tracks right here. Shane must of followed him a lot longer than he said... There's fresh blood on this tree." Daryl pointed out shining the light on the tree trunk.