CHAPTER 37: Judge, Jury, Executioner

YOUR POV:

    Daryl and I were gathering firewood for ourselves. He still wanted to be secluded from the others, so our tent was still on the outskirts of the farm's property. As we were placing the wood in our pile I noticed my Dad coming up the pasture towards us. He had been going around all morning trying to talk to everyone. Get anyone to be on his side about the kid, Randall.

     "The whole point of us coming up here is to get away from you people." Daryl said. I laughed and playfully smacked his arm.

     "Daryl, be nice. Hey, Dad." I greeted him with a smile as I brushed my hands together to get rid of the wood left overs.

     "Well, it's gonna take a whole lot more than that." Dad pointed out and then smiled at me. "Hey, kiddo. I came up to talk to you both. About Randall." Daryl scoffed and Dad looked at him. "You act like you don't care."

     "Yeah, it's cause I don't." Daryl told him.

     "So live or die, you don't care what happens to Randall?"

     "Nope."

     "What about you?" He asked looking at me.

     "Same stance." I shrugged as I hung our clothes over the line and clipped them there.

     "Then stand with me." Dad asked. "Try to save the kids life, if it really doesn't matter one way or the other?"

     "Didn't peg you for a desperate son of a bitch." Daryl mentioned as he shrugged on his sleeveless leather jacket over his shirt.

     "Your opinions make a difference." Dad pointed out.

     "Man, ain't nobody looking at me for nothing." Daryl said gathering his crossbow and arrows. I looked at him concerned.

     "Y/n does, so does Charlotte and Carol. I am, right now. You obviously have Rick's ear." Dad explained and Daryl looked at him.

     "Rick just looks to Shane. Let him."

     "Daryl." I said softly and concerned.

     "You cared about what happened to Sophia, cared what it meant to the group." Dad said hitting one of Daryl's nerves. "Charlotte came back and you were so overcome with joy. Torturing people, that isn't you. You're a good man. So is Rick..." Dad looked between us both concerned before he spoke again. "Shane... He's different."

     "Why's that?" Daryl asked.

     "Dad." I hissed immediately wanting to bring the conversation to a stop.

     "It's 'cause he killed Otis, isn't it?" Daryl asked and I looked at him surprised.

     "I'm gonna take it as Y/n didn't tell you." Dad said looking between us. "Did he?"

     "He told some story... How Otis covered him, saved their asses. You two showed up with the dead guy's gun. Pretty well figured since you had been acting even more weird it wasn't you." Daryl said looking at me with disappointment. "Rick ain't stupid. If he didn't figure that out, it's 'cause he didn't wanna. It's like I said. The group's broken."

     "Daryl." I said concerned again and moved towards him but he shrugged me off.

     "I thought we said no more secrets, right, Y/n?" Daryl said looking at me and shaking his head. I stood there unsure of what to say... That's when Charlotte came slowly walking across the field. "You ready, kid?" Daryl called out to her as she got closer.