CHAPTER 62: What's The Plan?

The next morning after a sleepless night, we all gathered around the cell block to talk about what to do next. Where we were going to go from here. Some of us wanted to stay and others wanted to leave. I couldn't blame them. I didn't want to endure another attack by the governor, but we had made this place our home. How could we give up so easily that which we fought so hard to get? I didn't care really either way at this point, though. My main concern? Charlotte and the baby in my belly.

"We're not leaving." Rick stated, gaining back my attention.

"We can't stay here." Hershel argued.

"What if there's another sniper? A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds." Maggie pointed out.

"We can't even go outside." Beth agreed.

"Not in the daylight." Carol said.

"Look, Rick says we're not running, we're not running." Glenn said confidently.

"No, better to live like rats." Merle piped up from his cell.

"You got a better idea?" Rick asked him.

"Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day." Merle informed us. "But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now."

"Yeah, we ain't scared of that prick." Daryl mentioned from above as he paced the top catwalk. I looked up to see him looking directly down at me and I rolled my eyes leaning against the cool concrete wall.

"Ya'll should be." Merle said. "That truck through the fence thing? That's just him ringing the doorbell. We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to."

"Let's put him in the other cell block." I scoffed.

"No, he's got a point." Daryl said and I rolled my eyes.

"This is all you. You started this." Maggie yelled at Merle.

"What's the difference who's fault it is? What do we do?" Beth asked.

"I said, we should leave." Hershel stated from his seat on the stairs. "Now Axel's dead. We can't just sit here." Rick looked at Hershel and he began to walk away. But Hershel was fed up as were most of us. He got on his foot with his crutches. "GET BACK HERE!" He yelled, making us all stop including Rick. He hobbled his way over to him. "You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it. We understand why. But now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy. Now you have to own up to that. I put my families life in your hands. So get your head clear and do something."

Rick walked off to go be on look out, while the other's all went their separate ways as well. I walked up to my perch and began to grab my things. My rifle, my katana, my knife and my pistol. I needed to be ready for anything. I sat on the bed and began to take apart my pistol to clean it and reload. Just as I started taking it apart I could feel eyes on me. I looked up slowly just with my eyes and I saw Daryl leaning against the metal pole.

"Quit staring. You're giving me the creeps." I grumbled as I cleaned my gun.

"I'll keep staring until you're ready to talk to me." Daryl shrugged. He crossed his arms over each other and he continued to stare.

"And I said I'd talk to you once I was ready. Do I look ready to you?" I said angrily and I tossed the gun pieces down on the mattress.

"Well now that your hands aren't so busy. Yes." He said and he walked forward taking a seat on the end of the mattress and picking up the pieces to my gun.