CHAPTER 18: Broken Down (S:2)

Here we go my lovely's! Welcome to Season 2!

It was time to leave Atlanta. Over the course of the past few days we had stopped to stock up as much as we could on what we could. Siphoning fuel from the abandoned vehicles around us, scavenging for the little bits of food we could find. It was all stuff that people tried to take from home when the world first fell.

Now was time for Shane's plan. We were headed 125 miles south towards Fort Benning. I didn't care where we went as long as we stayed together and stayed alive.

Daryl ditched Merle's truck and he was going to ride solo on his motorcycle. Riding that took much less gas and it lasted a hell of a lot longer. That's what we needed now. When we switched vehicles, I wrapped my arms around him and sighed as I leaned into his chest. Charlotte had seen and she came running over joining in on the hug too. Shane watched from afar, loathing himself, life, and what he had lost. Little did I know, he was determined to get it back at any cost...

~~~~~~~~~~

Charlotte and I climbed into the RV and off we began on our new journey.

"I remember driving this old thing when we first got her, remember?" Dad chuckled as he patted the dashboard.

"Oh yeah, I remember. I remember you begging and then dragging us along for the ride to Niagara Falls." I laughed as I sat in the passenger seat.

"I don't remember that." Charlotte said as she sat forward and held her hands on Dad's seat.

"Hey, your mother wanted to go before she passed." Dad pointed out with a fond smile on his face from the memory.

"And you wouldn't remember. You were only a baby." Shane spoke up softly. Looking up from cleaning his guns at the table in the center of the RV. "Nearly a year old."

"Really?" Charlotte asked surprised.

"Mhm. I still have the pictures." I chuckled and reached down into my bag and I pulled the album up and into my lap. I flipped to the page and walked back to her, taking a seat around the kitchen table. "See, there's you, Papa, Me and... Dad, and that's..."

"Meme." Charlotte said fondly as she touched the picture of us in front of the falls. The glowing lights behind us as water spouted like fountains. "How come there's only a couple of pictures?" She asked curiously.

"That's cause our trip was cut short." Shane answered her with a chuckle. "Your mom here, got sick. Bad seafood." He whispered.

"Hey, I said that mine smelled funny! You're the one who insisted it was fine." I pointed out rolling my eyes at the memory. Although it was a good time and thinking about it I couldn't keep the smile off my face...

"Yeah, I guess that is true." Shane said almost apologetically.

"Oh jeez." Dad said.

It was almost in an eye roll tone and that snapped me out of looking at Shane.

I was about to say something when I noticed he was slowing down. I stood up and gasped walking back to the passenger seat and sitting down in shock. The entire highway in front of us was packed back to back with cars. But the worst part was a tipped over 18 wheeler. There seemed to be no getting around that. Shane came and stood in the center of the two front seats and he ran a hand down his face.

Daryl, being on a motorcycle, much smaller than any of our other vehicles had already driven ahead and he was circling back to us when Dad opened the window.

"See a way through?"

Daryl nodded his head and circled around again getting back in front of the RV. He led the way and we followed past the fallen 18 wheeler...