CHAPTER 50: The Hold Up

We were sitting around the table each of us enjoying a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. I cradled the baby girl in my arms as I ate. Carl sat right beside me carefully watching over her as she was finishing the last of her breakfast bottle. Charlotte next to him doing the same. Daryl was sitting on the stairs having a conversation with Oscar. Nearly all the formula was gone already and we knew we were going to have to make another run today. We had been discussing it when Rick finally walked back into the cell block.

"Everybody okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, we are." Maggie replied gently.

"What about you?" Hershel asked him concerned.

"I cleared out the boiler block." Rick said simply.

"How many were there?" Daryl questioned him.

"I don't know. A dozen, two dozen... I have to get back. I just wanted to check on Carl." Rick said and he turned around to leave again.

"Rick, we can handle taking out the bodies." Glenn pointed out. "You don't have to."

"No, I do." Rick snarled. "Everyone have a gun and a knife?" He stated walking over toward Daryl.

"Yeah. We're running low on ammo, though." Daryl informed Rick. 

"Maggie, Y/n and I were planning on going for a run later this afternoon. Found a phone book with some places we can hit, look for bullets and formula." Glenn mentioned.

"We cleared out the generator room." I said softly. "Axel's there trying to fix it in case of emergency. We're going to the lower levels as well. Rick, I think there's someone who would like to meet you..." I stood and tried to bring the baby closer to him, but Rick swiftly moved away.

"Good. Good." Rick stated and nodded.

He quickly walked towards the cell door and closed it behind him.

"Rick!" Hershel called out after him.

But Rick didn't stop. He didn't acknowledge him, only left the room without another word. I looked at the little girl in my arms and sighed.

"Your Daddy is a brave, wonderful man. He is just going through something right now, but you'll meet him soon enough." I cooed at her quietly. She seemed to cuddle in closer to my chest with her closed eyes and I held her close.

~~~~~~~~~~

CHARLOTTE'S POV:

Mom stayed in the cell block watching over the baby while Dad, Carl, Oscar and I went to clear the lower blocks just like they had told Uncle Rick we were going too. Carl seemed really sad and I knew it was because he was missing his mom. I couldn't imagine what my life would be like without her in it and I never wanted to find out.

We walked along and noticed one of the doors was gently opening and closing. I readied my knife to open the door and pierce whatever was inside when Dad placed his hand over mine.

"We must have missed it last night." Oscar pointed out as he came up behind us.

"It's probably just one or two of 'em. Don't look like they got much fight." Dad frowned slightly as he examined the slowly opening and closing door. "They ain't going no where. We'll take care of it on the way back, okay?"

"Okay, Dad." I nodded and moved around the door.

Carl was standing in the middle of the hall and he was looking sadly down at the floor. I reached out and placed a hand on his arm and I smiled gently at him. Dad whistled and gave us both a look. I rolled my eyes and stepped away from him and continued to look around.