Chapter 18

Becky's POV

PRESENT

"Is she your sister?." Emily asked Freen while pointing at me.

And in my head I was like, Do we freakin' look like sisters?!

"Uh no honey, she's your mom." Atty. Morgan said.

"Her what?." Freen said. Flabbergasted is an understatement.

"I-I mean her new mom, because from now on Miss Armstrong will take custody of Emily here according to Miss Amanda's will. Well, of course depends if the court approves." Atty. Morgan explained.

"So Lady Freen is going to be my aunt?." Emily said excitedly.

"We're not sisters." Freen and I said in chorus.

"W-wait, Freen? Freen Sarocha--" Atty. Morgan finally realized.

"Y-yeah?." Freen said confused.

"You know her?." I asked.

"The case I told you about." Atty. Morgan looked at me.

Wait, the car accident? Emily's father? Freen?

FLASHBACK

"She almost got married years ago, but they got into a car accident and unfortunately, he didn't make it.." Nop said.

EOFB

I looked at Freen.

..

Freen's POV

Then I had a moment of epiphany,

"Is she--OMG." Referring to the kid.

"What's going on?." Emily said, oblivious.

"N-nothing sweetheart. Uhm, by the way my name is Rebecca Patricia Armstrong, I am your mom's cousin. So, technically I'm your aunt. You can call me Aunt Becky or--" Becky explained.

"Mommy." I finished.

The world suddenly stopped as our eyes met.

"Y-yeah. Could be that." Becky said, with her face now as red as a tomato.

..

Becky's POV

8 PM After dinner.

Freen drove us in Emily's home where I'm staying as well. She's already asleep upstairs.

Freen asked for a drink so I tried looking for one in the kitchen. It's my first time here and I have no idea where my cousin has been putting their things.

FLASHBACK

"Their old neighbor Mrs. Dee has been taking care of Emily recently since Amanda got confined. Unfortunately, Mrs. Dee has been a little sick lately so Emily had to stay and sleep in the hospital not until she lost Amanda. Anyways, for children older than seven years of age, they have the right to state their preference. Emily is six. However, the court is not bound by the children's choice as it also has to exercise its discretion by ensuring that the parent who gets the custody is deemed fit for the role. But since Amanda left a will, it is a 99% guarantee that Emily will be with you. Besides, the kid seem to like you." Atty. Morgan said.

"Nah, I think she likes Freen more. Maybe it's an Armstrong thing."

"What?."