First lead

Catherine let they do their job and drove to HQ where the rest of the team was waiting for her.

"Hey, guys."

Danny noticed immediately that the circumstances had left their mark. Who could blame her? Steve in ICU and Helen gone from her room.

"Hey Catherine. Better take a break. We will find Helen."

"No, I can't stop, I owe it to Billy. Do you have anything ?"

"Fong just called. He examined the blood you found. And it's Helen's. Otherwise, no traces have been found so far."

"There must be something."

"We will do what we can to find her. I promise to you."

"Okay, call me if you have something. I'm going to pick Mary up from the airport now. She lands in 20 minutes."

"Sure."

Catherine was glad to have some distraction. However, she had to keep thinking about Billy and Steve on the drive. Catherine felt terrible about taking care of Billy's daughter and now she was somewhere, possibly in the hands of bad people. That should not have happened.

Catherine was exhausted. Constant concern for Steve, then Billy's death, and now his daughter's disappearance. It couldn't get any worse. This had to end soon and Catherine would do anything to make it happen.

Catherine only had to wait 10 minutes at the airport for Mary to meet her.

"Hey Mary!"

"Catherine! Good to see you."

"Good to see you too. I just wish the circumstances were different."

"Have you heard anything new? What did the doctor say?"

"I'll explain that to you on the way to the hospital. Come on."

On the way:

"So what about him?"

"Steve is stable and is currently in intensive care. The doctor said he is fine under the circumstances and will probably be able to move to a normal room in 1-2 days."

"Okay good. But what happened anyway? Steve and I last spoke on the phone a few weeks ago."

"That is a long story. The short version: Please don't get a fright, but first he collapsed, then he was poisoned. A little later he bruised a few ribs and was kidnapped. And when he didn't stick to the doctor's bed rest, it had the consequences we're witnessing right now."

Mary's eyes widened with every word. Why hadn't anyone told her anything? And especially Steve. Catherine saw the shock in Mary's eyes.

"Hey Mary, he'll be fine. But there's nothing we can do at the moment except stay optimistic."

"Why didn't you tell me about all the incidents?"

"I wanted to, but Steve didn't. He didn't want you to worry."

"I really have to break that habit from him. I need to know when he's unwell and not just when he almost died."

"I'm sorry. I should have let you know anyway."

"No, it's okay. It was his choice."

It was quiet for the rest of the journey. When they arrived, Mary got out immediately. Catherine was about to follow her when her cell phone rang.

"Yes?"

"Catherine, this is Danny. We have something, you should come to headquarters."

"Okay, I'll be right there."