Hopeless

Danny and Lou went to the principal of Kukui High. Danny got straight to the point there. He pulled out his cell phone and held out a photo of the boy.

"Do you know him ?"

"Yes. I think almost everyone here knows him. This is Bradley Tennant. He'd always been a difficult kid. Often had arguments with classmates and bad grades. A loner. In addition, he often had bruises. But when we asked him about it, he always avoided it."

"Did you or any of the teachers ever suspect that Bradley might be on drugs?"

"No, no colleague told me about it either. I spoke to his father several times. But he said he would talk to his son. I just don't think that this changed anything. Or he didn't do it at all."

"Okay thanks. You helped us a lot. Could you give us Bradley's and his father's address as well?"

"Of course."

"Thank you."

When the two were back outside, they exchanged ideas.

"So Lou, what do you think?"

"I think Bradley was abused by his father. Hence the injuries. Also, I wouldn't try my best at school if my dad was so bad to me and I didn't have anyone to talk to."

"I agree. And maybe he was desperate and somehow ended up with a dealer. Then he got into the heroin and didn't realize it was his death sentence."

"So we need to talk to his father and find the dealer."

"Let's go."

Upon arriving at the official residence, Steve was escorted to his office by the governor's assistant.

"Ah Steve, there you are. Have a seat."

Steve complied with the request.

"So sir, what do you want to discuss with me?"

"Firstly, I wanted to personally congratulate you on your wedding and secondly, I've been getting sick calls from you quite a bit lately, and now one from Lieutenant Catherine McGarrett. So what the hell is going on?"

"Thanks sir and well since Wo Fat broke out he's been after me and unfortunately got me a couple of times. And otherwise I may not have followed the doctor's instructions... completely."

"You should change that as soon as possible. I don't want to have to look for a new task force leader. And what exactly happened to your wife ?"

"Well, someone was mad at me again and wanted to get at me through Catherine. I was able to prevent that, but she was shot in the process. But we're already looking for the man. We'll make sure he doesn't come off the island."

"Okay, that's enough for my decision. I'm having both of you placed under personal protection and in a safe house. I am handing over the control of the current case and manhunt to Detective Williams."

"Sir, are you serious? I've survived worse and I'm good at taking care of myself. Just like Catherine. Also, I'm not going to just sit back and wait."

"Steve. I'm just trying to keep you from getting killed."

"With all due respect sir. I don't think you can decide that. Well, at least not as far as personal protection is concerned. I don't need that. And if that was all, I would gladly go back to HQ. We still have a case to solve."

"I can't persuade you to accept the personal protection or the safe house anyway, can I?"

"No, rather not."

"All right. But take care. And now leave."

"Thanks sir. Goodbye."

So Steve was out again and on his way to headquarters.