Chapter 26-Locked in a Cage with all the Rats

A guard came and took us to the cafeteria for dinner. We had spent most of the day locked in our room, only allowed out for meals. At dinner, the boys explained that every evening Janson called out kids' names to supposedly take them to a farm. Ratman stood at the front of the room flanked by a boy with red eyes. The boy's blood red eyes were fixed on me. I stared back at him. A weird sense of déjà vu hit me and I frowned.

"Why are you staring at that boy?" Newt whispered in my ear.

"He looks familiar," I murmured back. Newt slipped his hand into mine. The red eyed boy frowned slightly, still staring at me.

"Stop looking at him," Newt whispered and tightened his grip on my hand.

"Don't get jealous, Newtie," I whispered back.

"I'm not."

"Really?" I asked quietly.

"Y/n."

"Oh fine," I broke eye contact with the boy and looked at my boyfriend. "Happy now?"

Newt just stared at me and then pulled me in for a kiss. A couple of the people at the table grumble quietly. I broke the kiss and gave Newt a look. He shrugged and glared at the red eyed boy. I flicked a glance back at him, he blinked and his eyes didn't look red for several short seconds but he blinked again and the blood red colour returned.

"Did you see that?" I asked Newt quietly.

"See what?" Newt asked.

"Nevermind, I guess I imagined it."

"I wanna know what's through that door," Thomas said suddenly, watching the kids line up as Ratman called out their names.

"Now, we've been over this. You said they were covered up, so you don't know what you saw," Newt argued, "It could have been anything under there."

"I know exactly what I saw, they were bodies. Y/n agrees with me, she was there too," Thomas argued back. All the eyes at the table went to me.

"Why else would it have the display thing on it with vital signs and a human body shape thing," I tried to convince them.

"Aris said they bring in a new batch every night," Thomas continued, pleased that I was taking his side. Newt on the other hand was not happy with me.

"Who the hell is Aris?" Minho asked us.

Thomas subtly pointed at Aris across the room. The boy was holding and inspecting a piece of food. We all look at him for a moment.

"Well, I'm sold," Minho sighed.

"And last but not least, David," Janson said loudly, "Thank you for your attention. Enjoy the rest of your evening."

"Okay, until we know anything for certain, we should just keep our heads down and try not to draw any attention to ourselves, all right?" Newt asked Thomas.

"Okay, I agree with that," I said quietly and Newt nodded. Thomas got up suddenly and moved for the group of kids which were moving towards the door.

"What's he doing?" Newt sat up straighter.

"I think he's drawing attention to himself," Frypan answered.

"I really hate him sometimes," I muttered quietly.

A guard stopped Thomas before he could get through. They started arguing and Thomas moved as if to come back to the table but spun around and slammed into the guard. The guard shoved Thomas back. We all scrambled from our seats and quickly grabbed Thomas, pulling him back.

"BACK OFF!" The guard yelled at Thomas.

"WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM, MAN?" Thomas yelled back. "WHAT THE HELL, HUH? WHY CAN'T I SEE HER?"