seven

The War changed nearly every aspect of Adeline's life. New friends, family, job, mental state. However, one thing that would never change was Adeline's antisocial tendencies.

She spent the school year only talking to Harry, Hermione, and Ron, Neville, Luna, Draco, Winky, McGonagall, Pomfrey, Hagrid, and would occasionally make fun of Snape.

When it came to the Third Task, Adeline was out of her comfort zone as she was sat in between Professor Moody and Madam Hooch.

She knew of Moody from the few Order meetings she attended, but never had an actual conversation with him.

Given her opposition to Quidditch, she had never spoken to Madam Hooch either.

But here Adeline was, sandwiched between two people she couldn't have less in common with.

Next to her, Moody seemed as paranoid as ever. He kept glancing over at her, fidgeting with his flask, and scanning the perimeter.

"So." Adeline began, "Peg leg eh? What made you decide not to get a better prosthetic? Aesthetic? That rhymed."

"When your enemies underestimate you the battle is already won." Moody grumbled in response.

"Hmm. I think my enemies always estimate me perfectly."

"I'm sure they do physically, but you're a good talker Wilson. You'd make a great distraction."

"Yeah I tend to ramble when I'm nervous." How does this man know I'm a good talker? We've never spoken. Dumbledore was probably talking shit.

"Could be a skill or a weakness. Depends on how you use it."

"You really are a perfect fit for a Defense teacher. Maybe you'll be the first to be here for two years."

"We'll see. If all goes well I won't be back."

He's so fucking weird this is why I'm not friends with him. Plus he attacked Draco which still wasn't cool of him. "Well same goes for me. I'd like my name to be cleared."

"Yes it's quite foolish that the Ministry thought the Dark Lord would accept a mud-muggleborn's help."

Was this bitch about to call me a mudblood? It's always the old hags, "Yeah they were not very thorough in their investigation."

"Mmm. It wasn't just you that didn't get a fair trial."

"Yeah Sirius didn't either. They were too focused on capturing the real Death Eaters that they didn't care who got thrown into the mix with them."

"Right, Sirius- that's who I meant."

"I'm sure you had first hand experience with that, you were the one who put half of them behind bars. Including killing Evan Rosier, the little bastard."

"Mmhmm. I did kill him."

"Yeah I mean I'm not a fan of murder and shit but I never liked him and after he helped kill the Prewetts I was all for him dying."

"Mhm."

Their conversation was cut off by the beginning of the third task. The instructions were given and soon enough the champions were off into a maze, where the spectators couldn't even see inside.

"Remember how I said I ramble when I'm nervous? Well Harry being in the maze is making me nervous so I'm going to ramble to you. Any topics of choice?"

"Your cat?" Moody suggested not paying attention to her.

"Aww Mercury. Merlin I miss that cat so-." Adeline hesitated. Moody couldn't have known she had a cat. She didn't bring Mercury to the first meeting she attended, and she had passed away before Dumbledore started inviting her more frequently. How the fuck did he know that?