Chapter 1

I started running towards the camp, hearing the terrible howl of a car. I ran among the others, glancing at Dale who was looking for something from his RV.

"Hey, Dale, can you see what that is?" I asked nervously.

"Talk to me, Dale!" pressed Shane.

"I can't tell yet."

The others began to shout at each other as I felt a familiar hand tighten around my fingers. I looked at Carl.

"Where have you been" he asked softly.

"On watch" I smiled.

"I was looking for you with Sophia earlier and I've caught frogs with Shane".

I nodded in understanding, though I was a little nervous inside. I knew about Shane's relationship with Lori. At night, when I had a watch, I saw them spend the night together. And yet, the fact that Shane did not participate in the normal duties that others carried out, put us in a bad light. We promised these people safety. They counted on us because of our past. And he was just too focused on winning the heart of his new family. Yes, Carl was a wonderful child. Yes, I loved spending time with him and Sophia in the evenings. But if I wanted to enjoy these moments, I had to make sure I could let my guard down first.

The red car pulled up next to Dale's RV, and my smug little brother got out, adjusting his baseball cap.

"Holy crap" I screamed running towards him "Turn that damn thing off!"

"I don't know how!"

"Pop the hood, please. Pop the hood" told Shane.

"My sister Andrea..."

"Pop the damn hood, please!"

"What? Okay okay. Yeah, yeah yeah"

He was lost as always when someone raised his voice at him. I gently moved him away from the car and quickly ripped out the right cables. I looked at him for a moment without saying a word, raising my eyebrows.

"Hey, Lizz" he said softly which made all my tension fly away. I quickly cuddled up to him, and he, although he was younger, but still a bit taller, rested his chin on my head.

"I was worried as hell. It took a long time."

"I know, I'm sorry. Things have gotten... complicated" he said slowly.

"Is she okay? Is she all right?" pressed Amy talking to my ear a little too loud.

"Yeah yeah. She's okay! She's okay!"

"Is she coming back?"

"Yes!"

"Why isn't she with you? Where is she? She's okay?"

"Yeah, fine. Everybody is. Well, Merle not so much."

I glared at him sharply, knowing that meant trouble. There were complications, and the only reason I didn't go with him was because he assured me that there would be no complications. Simple getaway, proven route.

"Are you crazy, driving this wailing bastard up here? Are you trying to draw every walker for miles?"

Shane raised his voice, and I clenched my hands into fists. I pulled away slightly from Glenn, didn't say anything, just watched as Shane frowned. Glenn, on the other hand, nervously adjusted his hat.

"I think we're okay." Dale interjected.

"You call being stupid, okay?"

I couldn't take it anymore and stepped between him and Glenn. I frowned, and though I tried to sound calm, there was a nervous note.