Chapter 9

The car started shaking until it came to a complete stop. Dale got out, Glenn right behind him, so I did the same. We were joined by the rest, who were driving other vehicles.

"I said it" said Dale. "Didn't I say it? A thousand times dead in the water."

"Problem, Dale?" asked Shane.

"Oh, just a small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere, with no hope of- Okay, that was dumb."

" Can't find a radiator hose here."

"There's a whole bunch of stuff we can find" said Daryl.

"Can siphon more fuel from these cars for a start" said T-Dog.

"This is a graveyard. I don't know how I feel about this" said Lori hugging Carl.

"Come on y'all" said Shane. "Look around, gather what you can"

The group split up and started walking between the cars. I looked at Glenn.

"Stay with Dale, try to help him" I smiled then ran over to Daryl who, as always, was far from the rest. He turned around when he heard me.

"What's up?" he asked brusquely.

"Better to be in bigger groups" I smiled.

"I'll be fine on my own."

"Look, I know that" I laughed. "Which doesn't mean I agree with it. Someone better watch your back, ya know?"

"Do what you wanna do" he said under his breath.

We came to the car in which one of the Walker was locked. I looked at the empty seat next to him where the gun lay. I glanced at Daryl and he understood immediately and started tapping lightly on his side of the glass.

"Come here you piece of shit, c'mon."

Walker immediately started to move towards him, so I quickly opened the door on my side and when his back was to me, I stabbed him in the head. He collapsed onto the driver's seat, and Daryl immediately took the gun from the seat and opened the glove box, looking through the things hidden there.

"Hey" I started slowly, and Daryl glanced my way. "When we move on, can I go with ya?"

"On a bike? You'll be quite uncomfortable, princess."

"Princess?" I laughed. "That's probably the last word that fits me"

"That's why I used it. Neither lady nor princess"

"Hey!"

"Don't you wanna go with your brother?"

"Glenn is sitting next to Dale" I opened the door of another empty car and rummaged in it. "So I'm stuck with Shane and Andrea, and they're not very good company at the moment."

"Why? I saw you get along with Shane."

"I did" I corrected him. "But it's different now. He's different. And I don't like what's happening to him."

He didn't say anything for a moment, then nodded his head. "You can go"

"Cool. I promise I won't cuddle too much."

"Do whatever you want as long as you don't fall off the bike."

"So can I give you a hug?" I smiled mischievously.

I saw that he wanted to say something, but his facial expression changed.

"Under the car, now"

I didn't look back, I just did as he said. We both ducked under the truck, lay side by side, and a minute later I heard Walkers grunt. I slowly pulled the knife out of its sheath and then placed it against my chest. I looked at Daryl who did the same and put his finger to his lips for silence. I watched over his head as the Walkers walked past us. Lots of feet, lots of grunts, and they smelled of blood and rot. I moved closer to Daryl and with just a movement of my lips I said