Chapter 55

We left the bedroom and started heading to the main part of the building - a large hall where everyone worked collecting points. I didn't know much about how it all worked, but I only managed to understand it from the conversations of Tom, his friends and what Negan himself told me. The more points you had, the higher you were in the hierarchy. 

Finally we stood at a central point where we could see the people gathered below. Negan smiled and slammed Lucille into the metal ramp, and then everyone who was below, took a knee. My eyes went to Daryl, who was also there. He kept his eyes focused on the floor. He seemed like a shadow of the person I knew.

Negan handed Lucille to Carl.

"Hold that for me"

The boy hesitated for a moment, but finally took the stick from him, tightening his hand on it hesitantly.

Negan nodded as if in approval, then turned towards the people who were watching him carefully. He rested his hands on the railings and took an ostentatious deep breath.

"You know the deal" he finally said. "What's about to happen is gonna be hard to watch. I don't want to do it. I wish I could just ignore the rules and let it slide, but I can't. Why?"

"The rules keep us alive" they all responded in unison.

"That... is... right" Negan exclaimed as he walked down the stairs, Carl followed him, I was the last. I stared at the young man who was sitting in the middle of the hall, tied to a chair. And I knew what was about to happen. I didn't want to be there. I would love to turn on my heel and run away, but I couldn't. I had to stay. I had to witness what was about to happen.

I was sure I was going to vomit.

"We survive" Negan continued. "We provide security to others. We bring civilization back to this world. We are the Saviors. But we can't do that without rules. Rules are what make it all work. I know it's not easy. But there's always work. There is always a cost. Here, if you try to skirt it, if you try to cut that corner..." he laughed. "Then it is the iron for you."

My eyes automatically went to Dwight who was standing right next to the stove.

"On your feet" Negan waved his hand and everyone started to slowly get up from their knees.

We joined the rest, Carl and I stood right next to Sherry. I glanced at her, and I could see anger mixed with helplessness in her eyes. I knew this feeling perfectly. All too well.

I watched as Negan stepped into the middle and lightly slapped the boy tied in a chair on the neck.

"D..." Negan looked at Dwight, who without thinking began to pull a hot iron out of the stove with a rod. Negan, on the other hand, slipped on thick work gloves. He took over the iron and looked towards the bound man.

"Mark... I'm sorry" he started slowly. "But it is what it is."

And at that moment he put an iron to his face. The man started screaming, I could see patches of skin sticking to the metal surface, and Negan barely blinked. I felt Carl's hand squeeze my wrist, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sherry slowly approaching a pretty blonde who was clearly crying. I recognized her, I knew she was Negan's wife and then I understood what the punishment was for. For what reason is this boy currently suffering? I felt someone's eyes on me, so I glanced to my right and saw how Daryl, taking advantage of Negan's inattention, allowed himself to look at me. I didn't make any gesture, I didn't want to risk anything, I just looked at him, wanting to tell him how much I crumble every day I'm here.

But also the certainty that we will all escape from here.

Seeing Negan take the iron away from Mark's face, I immediately look away at him, but then I want to vomit again.