Chapter 2

I walked over to Glenn, who watched in pain as Dale disassembled the car for parts. I sat next to him, giving him a slight nudge.

"Look at 'em. Vultures. Yeah, go on, strip it clean."

I laughed.

"Generators need every drop of fuel they can get. Got no power without it. Sorry, Glenn" said Dale but he didn't look sad with that fact.

"Thought I'd get to drive it at least a few more days".

"Maybe we'll get to steal another one someday." I gave him another nudge making him look at me.

"And I can leave it?"

"Geez you're 25 and you act like you're 15 again".

"Don't remind me of Daisy."

"Daisy?" Dale asked.

"Come on, Glenn" I looked at my brother. "Tell him about Daisy."

"Daisy was a stray cat, okay? I just wanted to take her."

"Daisy wasn't a stray. Belonged to Mrs. Lopez. Her phone number on Daisy's collar spoke for itself."

"Depends on how someone looked at it. Maybe she just didn't want to call her?"

I rolled my eyes, but before I could say anything, I heard Carl and Sophia screaming.

I ran in that direction; Glenn was right behind me. I took the knife out of its sheath, and when I saw the rest, I slowly came out from behind the trees. Walker ate the deer without paying attention to us. He ripped open her belly, eating her insides.

"What the fuck" I whispered to myself, making Shane glance my way.

"I'll take him down, don't move" I said calmly as I walked slowly around Walker. Once I was behind him, he must have sensed me because he jumped to his feet. I wanted to back away, but I managed to control myself and with a strong move I drove the knife into his head. I tossed his carcass aside looking at the rest.

"It's the first one we've had up here. They never come this far up the mountain." said Dale.

"Well, they're running out of food in the city, that's what." said Jim.

I heard the snap of branches. I turned around, lifting the knife slightly. However, seeing Daryl's familiar face, I sheathed the knife, smoothing the hair that had fallen over my eyes.

"Son of a bitch." he cursed "That's my deer! Look at it. All gnawed on by this... filthy, disease-bearing, motherless poxy bastard!"

He started to kick the dead Walker.

"Calm down, son. That's not helping" said Dale calmly.

"What do you know about it, old man? Why don't you take that stupid hat and go back to "On Golden Pond"? I've been tracking this deer for miles. Gonna drag it back to camp, cook us up some venison. What do you think?" he looked at Shane "Do you think we can cut around this chewed up part right here?

"I would not risk that." he answered.

"That's a damn shame. I got some squirrel... About a dozen or so. That'll have to do."

He suddenly narrowed his eyes at the walker's head, then he looked at me. However, he said nothing, just nodded and headed towards the camp, with us right behind him.

"Merle!" he started screaming when we were near the tents. "Merle! Get your ugly ass out here! I got us some squirrels! Let's stew 'em up."

I ran, looking  at Shane.