Chapter 41

I knocked softly on the door and, hearing permission, peeked inside. Carl lay in his bed with his eye closed. Yes, with only one eye because at the end of the fight he was shot by Peter's son.

I know he was just a young boy, but if he hadn't died himself, I don't know how I would have reacted. I don't know what I could do to him. What would I be capable of.

Carl was like another little brother to me. And I saw an opportunity in him. Not only for this place, but also for everything. He was open and didn't want to fight. Yes, he had his episode where the pistol became his best friend, but that's over now. He has matured. He understood that bullets are no better solution than words, and that's where you have to start.

"Hello, Lizz" Carl smiled, and it finally looked natural. I knew he had been drugged at first, then suppressed his sadness and anger so as not to worry us, but now he had come to terms with the loss of his eye.

"Hey kid" I smiled. "I'm going hunting with Daryl and your dad. Any special requests?"

"All candy bars for me."

"Of course I do. I'll hide them all so Michonne won't find them, though we know you'll share them with her."

"So are you. And Judith."

"But I'll pretend it's just for you and you're a spoiled young kid. Deal?"

"It sounds great."

I nodded slowly and sat on the bed next to him. I stroke his head.

"How are you feeling outside of this?"

"Better" he smiled. "I still get a headache sometimes, but that's it."

"All right."

There was silence for a moment.

"So it's 2-2," Carl suddenly said, and seeing my surprise, he quickly began to translate. "When I was shot on the farm, you said you were shot twice. So we have a tie."

I laughed sadly.

"Poor record-breaking" I patted his hand. "Let's hope none of us get shot again."

"And zero Zombie Bites."

I nodded.

"No bullets. No teeth. Deal."

~*~

Daryl got in the car, and I straightened up so I could look at him. Rick started the engine and off we went.

"Why so long?"

"Denise translated the list for me."

He handed me a piece of paper and I looked at it carefully.

"What the hell's pop?"

"It's for Tara, as a gift. That's what I understood."

"For Tara?" I raised my eyebrows until I finally understood. "Oh, sweet. I thought there was something between them. Good for them."

"How do you women know such things?" Rick looked at me through the rearview mirror. "Lori had that sense too and I never understood it."

I shrugged.

"You can see it. Just. Daryl knows voodoo tracking and women know voodoo aura" I laughed. "That's why I know you've been getting close to Michonne lately."

I saw Rick blink faster. "Let's not go this way."

I shrugged. "You started it yourself."

"That's not fair" laughed Rick. "Because I can't blackmail you with anything in return."