Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Amy turned into Walker, and Andrea killed her as promised. And now we were all at the big funeral, where we buried the people we had spent the last few weeks with. I watched from a distance because I volunteered to keep watch at the time. I watched Andrea clumsily put her sister's body in the pit, and when I thought that I would have to do the same with Glenn, I felt tears in my eyes. I wiped them away quickly and took a deep breath. I looked at my brother, who was among the others, and my stomach tightened again.

 He had to survive. He was good, he was tender, he was all I had, and that had to endure. I heard soft footsteps, and seeing Shane, I nodded to him.

"Have you thought about Rick's plan?" he asked.

I nodded. "I agree with him"

"Not Fort Benning?"

"C.D.C is closer"

"Do you really think Jim will survive this journey?"

"No," I said curtly. "But this could be our chance in the future. Maybe Rick is right. Maybe they have a cure. And if we don't go there, we won't find out."

"What if there's nothing there? We're just wasting fuel."

"We're are not sure about Fort Benning either" I shrugged. "C.D.C is closer, I'm sticking to it."

Shane nodded incredulously.

"It was easier when it was just the two of us" he said finally. "We always agreed back then."

"Not at all" I laughed. "You're still my partner, you know" I gave him a nudge.

"And can I count on you?"

"Of course, always"

...

"Everybody listen up" said Shane "Those of you with C.B.s, we're gonna be on channel 40. Let's keep the chatter down, okay? Now you got a problem, don't have a C.B., can't get a signal or anything at all, you're gonna hit your horn one time. That'll stop the caravan. Any questions?"

"We're, uh... We're... we're not going" said Morales. "We have family in Birmingham. We want to be with our people"

"You go on your own, you won't have anyone to watch your back" said Shane.

"We'll take the chance. I got to do what's best for my family."

"You sure?" asked Rick.

"We talked about it. We're sure"

Rick handed Morales the gun and ammo. Everyone started saying goodbye and Eliza gave her doll to Sophie. Then we started getting ready for the road. I watched everyone take their seats, so I tentatively approached Daryl.

"Can I go with you?"

Daryl was checking his bike, before finally looking at me.

"You're not going with ya brother?"

"He's in an RV, there's not much room for me there."

He muttered something under his breath.

"Then jump in" he said.

I took my seat and a few minutes later we were on our way.

"I can drive" I said. "Tell me when you're tired."

"Nah" he nodded. "I like to drive. It's okay. You can sleep."

But I didn't fall asleep. I looked out the window, finding Walkers here and there. An hour passed before Daryl cleared his throat.