Chapter 53

While I was showing Negan around Alexandria, I saw Rick gathering people to talk to. I wondered where the weapon could be hidden, but I couldn't think of anything else than to search all the houses, especially Aiden's. From the beginning, he did what he wanted and enjoyed the privileges of being Deanne's son. Olivia was right behind us and I glanced over my shoulder, wondering why Negan was dragging her along, but I didn't object. Negan walked between the houses, carefully observing everything.

"Where was your house, Liz? Which one was it?"

I took a breath, feeling tears form in my eyes, but I swallowed them along with my saliva. It terrified me to think that I was getting better at coping with the idea that this man had killed my brother. I knew that if I had the opportunity, I would certainly lie in bed and reach out to my old friends, and yes... Thanks to Negan, I actually kept myself prepared and didn't break down. He didn't allow me the luxury of mourning.

"Over there" I pointed to a slightly smaller house than the others, which looked abandoned. And that's how he was. "I lived there with Glenn and Maggie."

Negan glanced at me, narrowing his eyes.

"I told the truth. I wanted to take her."

"So maybe it's better that she didn't make it" I whispered under my breath and Negan laughed.

"Oh, come on! We're having so much fun together!" he gave me a course as if we were really friends. "Only Rick will find his, or rather mine, treasure and it will be a really good day!"

I looked at him and nodded slowly.

"We both know I'm here for the show."

Negan suddenly stopped and looked at me intently.

"Oh, come on, Liz" he said, a little more seriously. "If I wanted you to be here for show, you'd be dressed in a cool tracksuit like Daryl. You see, I'd be damn happy if Daryl wise up and agreed to my terms, but I also know full well that he's a guy. Us guys, especially these tough ones, we don't give up easily."

"Not like women?"

"Are you talking about yourself?" Negan raised his eyebrows. "You, Liz, are a clever beast, because we both know that you are not on my side in any way, and yet, you give such an impression that I hope that will change. Can you believe it? So we both play cat and a mouse and you know what? I'm fucking excited about it!" He looked around. "Okay, let's sit here and wait."

For the next hour, Negan barely spoke to me. Every now and then, a Savior approached him with a message, while I looked around, looking for familiar faces. Sometimes, from a distance, I saw Daryl, who was looking at the ground most of the time, as if he wanted to become invisible. I understood this need all too well. Finally, I heard a familiar voice, right next to me, as if behind the car we were sitting next to. I stood up and slowly stretched to take a few steps. I saw Negan watching me, but he didn't say anything. I looked out from behind the car and saw Enid standing in front of a tall man holding something in his hand. I wasn't the only one looking at it, Carl was also standing a few steps away.

"Balloons?" the man asked with a crooked smile, and sure enough, he was holding green balloons in his hands. "You going to a party, little girl?"

Enid swallowed.

"Can I keep them, please?"

She was trembling slightly, and I realized what kind of balloons they were.

I felt chills.

Signal. Glenn.

"It's just..." Enid began hesitantly. "Let me keep them."