Chapter 37

I was standing on the porch watching people make their way towards Deanne's house when Rick stood right next to me.

"Aren't you changing?" he asked as he hugged Judith.

"I'm not goin'" I glanced at him with a smile. "But have fun, Rick."

Rick narrowed his eyes at me intently. "Didn't you say we should give this place a chance?"

"I give" I leaned against the wooden reinforcement, crossing my arms over my chest. "But not like this. What? You wanted to see me in a dress?"

I laughed and Rick shrugged.

"That would be a nice sight for sure. Look, I got rid of my beard."

I watched Rick closely and was convinced he was flirting with me. Something about his gaze and the way he talked to me... He must have been drunk already.

"Another time" I patted him on the shoulder.

Rick nodded in understanding, walked down the patio, and headed toward Deanna's house. I watched him for a moment, then saw Daryl standing in the doorway, who had definitely taken a shower. I raised my eyebrows.

"Are you goin' somewhere?"

Daryl shrugged. "We were supposed to try."

"Oh my god."

"You're not goin'?"

"Not an option."

Daryl fiddled his hair a little nervously, it was obvious he was uncomfortable.

"Shall I go with you?"

"Nah" he waved his hand. "It was stupid, never mind."

I couldn't help but chuckle. "If you want, we can go."

"You didn't want to."

I shrugged.

"I can go with you, but if the food isn't tasty, we leave."

Daryl looked at me carefully, but finally nodded with a slight smile. I knew it was something new for him and I was even impressed that he decided to do it. In fact, that was the only reason I wanted to accompany him. Not for Deanna, not for myself, but for him. I quickly changed into jeans and a plain shirt, and Daryl was waiting for me on the terrace. When I left the house, he immediately fixed his eyes on me.

"Where's the dress, princess."

"Don't push it" I gave him a slight nudge and we started walking towards Deanne's house.

"Lizz, Daryl" I looked at Aaron, who was standing on the porch of his house.

"Thought you were going to that party over there" Daryl said.

"Oh, I was never going to go 'cause of Eric's ankle, thank God."

The relief in his voice was audible enough to make me smile.

"Why the hell did you tell me to go, then?" Daryl looked at him in surprise.

"I said try. You did."

"You convinced him" I said with a laugh.

"I see you too."

"I was supposed to go for him, that's all" I shrugged and Aaron watched me closely as if looking for some answers.

"You know what... come in. Have some dinner."

I glanced at Daryl, who didn't look convinced.

"Come on. It's some pretty serious spaghetti" Aaron encouraged, and I reached for Daryl's hand, squeezing it tight, and started walking towards Aaron, dragging Daryl with me.