Chapter 38

The next day we met with Carol and Rick who wanted to hand us the stolen guns from the warehouse, but we refused them. Daryl was the first to decline, I was a bit hesitant but followed suit. With Rick's attitude, we won't get very far. And the path we took made him lose his mind and stop believing completely. He knew us and could trust us, but the rest were a bunch to him who could kill us through bad intentions or because of their stupidity.

That evening I stayed in Alexandria while Daryl and Aaron scouted beyond the wall. I had to stay because Glenn went with the others to get supplies, but they didn't come back with a full squad. Noah got torn apart by zombies and it was the fault of Nicolas. I saw Glenn sitting on the terrace, so I sat down next to him and rested my head on his shoulder.

"Rick spoke to me" Glenn said in a whisper. "He doesn't believe in this place, and the way he talked about it..." he rested his chin on my head. "I'm worried, Lizz."

I pulled back to look at him. Glenn looked devastated.

"He doesn't think straight. Yes, we've lost a man, but he's here to stand on the ashes as long as it's by his rules, and as we all know, his rules aren't perfect either."

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Talk to him" he whispered forcefully. "Noah believed in this place. He wanted it to be a sanctuary for all of us. I don't want... I don't want us to destroy it."

I looked at him and nodded slowly. "I'll try."

Glenn smiled sluggishly and I grabbed his hand.

"I know it's a stupid question, but how bad is it?"

Glenn cleared his throat. "Died because of cowardice. They can't live there, Lizz. They can't trust themselves. That wall has set them back. They're just like they used to be. It's their survival that matters, and now we all know no one can survive alone for long. Not about sane."

"You have to be careful now" I whispered. "If they're like that, he'll want to get back at it, you know that?"

Glenn nodded.

"I'll go with you on the next trip" I said quietly.

"No, Lizz, I'll be fine. I heard you and Daryl became recruiters. Focus on that."

"Not if some dick can target you."

"Lizz, I'll be fine." Glenn smiled slightly. "I'm your brother after all. You're not the only badass here."

I laughed. "I raised you well."

He kissed my forehead. "The best in the world"

~*~

Daryl and Aaron didn't come back that night, so the next day I was helping the others with their chores. When suddenly I heard screams and pleas to stop. I started running that way when I saw Rick hitting Peter on the asphalt. They were both bloody. But suddenly Rick took out a gun, which made me turn pale.

"Your way of doing things is done. Things don't get better because you-- you want them to. Starting right now, we have to live in the real world. We have to control who lives here. That's never been more clear to me than it is right now."

I started to look around, but everyone was paralyzed like me.

"Your way is gonna destroy this place. It's gonna get people killed. It's already gotten people killed. And I'm not gonna stand by and just let it happen. If you don't fight, you die."

Michonne was standing right next to me, so I extended my hand to her and motioned to her gun. She understood immediately.

"I'm not gonna stand by--" Rick continued and I took two steps towards him.