« Pilot » - Part 2/2

The coffee was bad, and the seats too narrow. Alina was sitting between the Winchesters, a cup of bitter coffee in her hand, praying that this little meeting would soon come to an end. Because she was pretty sure she was about to suffocate.
She usually loved hearing about Sam's knowledge of symbols, but she was more than relieved when Dean interrupted him to get straight to the point.

"Here's the deal, ladies. The way Troy disappeared, something's not right. So if you've heard anything..."

The girls both shared the same look.

"What is it?" Dean and Alina asked at the same time.

"Well, it's just... I mean, with all these guys going missing, people talk."

"What do they talk about?" The three of them spoke in chorus, to focused on the girl's story to notice it.

"It's kind of this local legend. This one girl? She got murdered out on Centennial, like decades ago. Well, supposedly she's still out there. She hitchhikes, and whoever picks her up? Well, they disappear forever."

The three hunters finally made eye contact, concluding that they had the information they needed.

And so their next stop had to be the library, where they all sat in front of a computer to find out more about the hitchhiking ghost. Alina and Sam, waited impatiently as Dean got zero results after typing "Female Murder Hitchhiking". He then replaced "Hitchhiking" with "Centennial Highway", but ended up with the same result.

"Let me try." Sam said, his hand reaching for the keyboard, and getting immediately smacked by Dean's.

"I got it."

Alina already knew what was about to happen before Sam shoved Dean's chair out of the way and took his place.

"Dude!" Dean complained, rolling back to them, and ready to hit Sam back, but Alina smacked his hand before he could even reach his brother.

"Really? You two are such control freaks."

"You're the freak." Alina replied.

"No you are!"

"You are!"

"You're the freak!"

"Guys?!" Sam interrupted them, making them realize that everyone in the library were looking in their direction with judgmental eyes.

"Freaks." Dean and Alina mumbled together, sharing an amused look.

"So angry spirits are born out of violent death, right?" Sam said still focused on the research. "Well maybe it's not murder."

And he was right, because as soon as he replaced "Murder" with "Suicide", an article about a certain Constance Welch appeared on the screen. They discovered her story, how she had thrown herself from a bridge after killing her children by leaving them alone for several minutes in the bathtub, then stopped on the photos. One of her husband Joseph Welch, another of the Sylvania Bridge.

"The bridge look familiar to you?" Dean asked his brother.

When they arrived at the bridge, Dean and Sam stayed on top of it while Alina went down to the river to inspect the surroundings. They had only been there for a few minutes, when Alina heard the echoes of the argument that broke out between the brothers about the youngest's life choices. She was relieved not to be with them.

She was happy for Sam, but couldn't be in conflict with Dean since she was obviously going to spend the rest of the trip alone with him. She therefore continued her investigation, until she no longer heard the voices of the boys on the bridge. She didn't like to hear them fight, but she hated not being able to hear them anymore.