« Faith » - Part 3/3

Sam and Alina watched Roy leaving his house with his wife, knowing they were heading to the next service. The hunters now had to hurry up and find the spell book Roy was using to control the reaper. However, Sam had to catch his friend as she almost fell on top of him when she followed him through the window. She didn't even seem bothered by that sudden clumsiness of hers, while Sam was more than intrigued by it. She hadn't said a word after coming out of the bathroom last night, wearing dry clothes and looking as upset as Dean looked frustrated lying on the couch. They'd both went to sleep, and ever since then, Alina was avoiding any conversation not related to their job.

"Are you gonna tell me?" Sam finally lost his patience, staring at the silent girl already searching the place.

"Tell you what?" She knew what...

"You know what."

Alina stopped in front of the bookshelves with a long sigh, before eventually turning to her best friend. He wouldn't let it go, so did she really have another choice but to tell him the truth?

"I kissed Dean before coming to Nebraska. And last night, when you heard me screaming like a total idiot, I was confessing my stupid feelings, thinking he would actually...I don't know what I thought. To be honest, I don't even know what I expected him to do, because he obviously wasn't gonna feel the same way. But I'm fine. I mean...it's not like I am completely head over heels for him, I'll get over it."

Sam was completely stunned by her answer. Of course, he knew about her feelings for his brother, but she'd actually told him about it. After months of lying to herself. And the worst thing, was that Dean felt the same way about her, but for some reason had decided to let her think the opposite. Why? Because they'd brought him here to save his life, but ended up trading someone else's life for his? They had no idea this would happen! Sam wanted to go find his brother now and tell him how stupid he was to push away a girl like Alina. But she stopped the youngest brother before he could even say anything about it, pointing her finger towards the only book that didn't have dust on the shelf in front of it. "Encyclopedia of British History". They shared the same look, back to their serious selves, and Alina grabbed the book to flip through it. When she found nothing, Sam noticed the smaller book hidden behind the larger one on the shelf. A picture of a skeleton reaper and the same wooden cross they'd found during their researches, definitely confirmed their theory. But the newspaper articles about the people whose lives had been traded, made them feel uneasy about this case. An openly gay teacher, an abortion rights advocate...and there was a third one. David Wright, the same man they'd seen the day of their arrival, protesting in front of the tent. And since they'd also seen him alive just a few minutes ago, they realized how urgent the situation actually was.

The two hunters ran out of the house, calling Dean to share the new informations with him. He had to stop Roy from healing someone else.

Sam and Alina started searching for the next victim in the car park, but of course they couldn't find anything.

"Where is he?!" Sam anxiously looked everywhere around him when they stopped in the middle of the cars, after long minutes of running in circles.

"That guy's constantly yelling, you can't tell me he suddenly decided to shut his mouth!"

"Help!"

The hunters turned, surprised that their words had actually worked, but also too concerned about his scream not to follow his voice immediately.

"Help! Help me please!"

They found the poor man leaning against a car, terrified of something only he could see. Sam tried looking around wildly when they reached the man. "Where is he?!"