« Bloody Mary » - Part 2/2

Dean and Alina stayed in the car for a few hours, silently reading, until they decided to get back in the room when the sun started to rise. They found a sleeping Sam on the bed, and obviously did their best to not wake him up. Alina didn't like the idea of him getting another nightmare, but she also knew that in their line of job, rest was important. Even if it was just a couple of hours every two days. And Sam hadn't slept in a long time.

Dean went back on his chair next to the window, while Alina sat on the other bed she was supposed to share with him. They hadn't slept throughout the entire night, but they'd spent most of it next to each other anyway. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for Sam to wake up after their return. And once again, he looked startled enough for Alina to have to resist the urge of hugging him.

"Why'd you let me fall asleep?" The youngest Winchester asked his brother and his friend in a grumpy tone.

"Cause I'm an awesome brother, and Alina a pretty decent friend."

"You're a pretty decent jerk." She replied, tempted to throw one of the pillows at him.

Dean gave her a mocking face, then went back to his brother's nightmare. "So what did you dream about?"

Alina already knew what was coming before it even came out of Sam's mouth. "Lollipops and candy canes."

She smiled at him sadly, wanting nothing more than to help him. And yet she had to respect his boundaries because she was convinced that one day, he'd tell her everything. "Sounds fun." She simply said to let him know she wouldn't ask for more, getting a faint smile from her friend.

"Yeah, sure." They heard Dean mumble behind them and chose to ignore him.

"Did you find anything?" Sam changed the subject.

"Oh besides a whole new level of frustration, and Alina's comedy talents? No. We've looked at everything. A few local women, a Laura and a Catherine committed suicide in front of a mirror, and a giant mirror fell on a guy named Dave, but...no Mary."

Alina annoyingly glanced at Dean for his little comment about her jokes, while Sam fell back on the bed with a big sigh. "Maybe we just haven't found it yet."

"I've also been searching for strange deaths in the area, you know...eyeball bleeding, that sort of thing. There's nothing. Whatever's happening here, maybe it just ain't Mary."

"Or maybe you're just as bad at reading as I am at humor?" Alina sarcastically answered, making the eldest sibling throw a paper ball at her.

Alina and Dean were as always about to start a new childish fight, when Sam's phone interrupted them. They watched as Sam answered the call, and quickly looked concerned about what the person calling was telling him.

So without having any time to rest, the three hunters drove to the nearest park where they met with Donna Shoemaker's friend, Charlie. The girl to whom Sam had given his phone number, was now crying on a bench because of her friend's death the night before. Alina was sitting next to her with an arm around the crying girl to comfort her, while Dean was sitting on the back of the bench, and Sam standing right next to it. They were listening to what had happened to the girl who also died on her bathroom floor, with her eyes gone.

"And she said it." Charlie stuttered a little. "I heard her say it. But it couldn't be because of that. I'm insane, right?"

The hunters shared the same look, knowing exactly what she was talking about.

"No, you're not insane." Dean reassured her.

"Oh God, that makes me feel so much worse."

Alina wrapped her arm tighter around her. "I know, but trust me feeling insane does not make you feel safer."