« Asylum » - Part 1/2

(S1EP10 - Asylum)

Sam watched in disbelief as his brother was typing on the laptop, the mysterious coordinates he just got in a text message. He didn't want to believe that after all this time, after what happened in Kansas, it could actually be coming from their dad. "You think dad was texting us?"

"He's given us coordinates before."

"The man can barely work a toaster, Dean."

"Sam, it's good news!" Dean was relieved that Alina wasn't in the room right now, because he wouldn't want her to get affected by that new argument Sam was starting. "It means he's okay, or alive at least."

"Well, was there a number on the caller ID?"

"Nah, it said 'unknown'."

"Well, where do the coordinates point?"

"That's the interesting part. Rockford, Illinois."

"Okay, and that's interesting how?" Sam was clearly losing his patience. He didn't understand how his brother could be so fast at following orders he wasn't even sure came from their dad.

"I checked the local Rockford paper. Take a look at this." He turned the laptop towards Sam to let him see the article talking about the recent death of a cop. "This cop, Walter Kelly, comes home from his shift, shoots his wife, then puts the gun in his mouth, blows his brains out. And earlier that night, Kelly and his partner responded to a call at the Roosevelt Asylum."

"Okay, I'm not following. What has this have to do with us?"

"Dad earmarked the same Asylum in the journal. Let's see..." He took their dad's journal and turned a few pages until he found the one he was looking for, with an old article talking about that Asylum taped to it. "Here. Seven unconfirmed sightings, two deaths...till last week at least. I think this is where he wants us to go."

Sam scoffed at the realization. That had to be a joke. "This is a job... Dad wants us to work a job."

"Well, maybe we'll meet up with him? Maybe he's there?" Of course Dean was the optimistic one when it came to John Winchester. And that actually infuriated Sam even more.

"Maybe he's not? I mean, he could be sending us there, by ourselves, to hunt this thing."

"Who cares?! If he wants us there, it's good enough for me!" Dean was getting tired of his brother constantly doubting everything their father did.

"This doesn't strike you as weird? The texting? The coordinates?"

"Sam! Dad's telling us to go somewhere, we're going."

Sam didn't even try hiding his frustration, staring at his brother annoyingly before giving up with a sigh that Dean ignored. The eldest brother was already grabbing his stuff to put them in his bag. "Come on, pack your bag. What's Alina even doing? She's been out for almost an hour."

Sam rolled his eyes, realizing that his brother hadn't listened to the girl when she'd told them she was going outside. "She's in the parking lot, washing the car."

Dean instantly dropped his bag on the bed and looked back at his brother who was lazily walking to the bathroom. "She's what?!" But since he didn't get an answer, he rushed to the window of the motel room and spotted the Impala parked a little further away. There were two buckets on the floor next to it, but his friend was nowhere to be seen. Worried for her safety, he didn't think twice before running out of the room and towards his precious car.

Fortunately, he didn't have to worry too much for Alina as her head quickly reappeared on the other side of the car, where she was crouching to clean the doors. Once the fear gone, Dean noticed how spotless his Baby looked. All the mud accumulated from traveling around the country, and hunting in dirty places, was now completely gone. He hadn't seen her like that in a long time and it made him forget instantly about his argument with Sam. "Baby, look at you!" He complimented his car in astonishment. "You look amazing!"