chapter 3

As Ava came running towards me, her arms outstretched and her eyes sparkling with joy, I felt my heart flutter with a mix of emotions. The comfort of her warm embrace settled within me, but I couldn't shake off the unease that had crept into my mind.

"Told you," the ant boasted, her pride evident in her voice. "Now, William, you are one of us."

As I felt Ava's hair against my fingers, I couldn't help but notice how her warm roots made my skin crawl. I pulled away, trying to mask my discomfort.

"What am I signing up for?" I finally asked the ant, hoping that her answer would quell my anxieties.

"You are going to be a member of our terrorist association," the ant-woman replied matter-of-factly.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Was this really happening? "Okay," I replied without hesitation, the unease growing stronger. The ant and octopus looked thrilled, but Ava's eyes widened for a different reason. 

"What... William, what are you saying?" Ava lifted her head from my chest, her eyes wide with confusion. "You- you can't join them... they're terrorists!"

Her words cut through my chest like a knife, the weight of what I was about to do bearing down on me. But I couldn't show weakness in front of her. I needed Ava to believe in me, to trust that I was doing the right thing.

"I know, I'm not deaf... But what choice do I have?" My hands took hold of her head, forcing her to look into my eyes. "They could hurt you. And you're so important to me... I can't have the risk of them hurting you... Do you understand, love?"

I held my breath, waiting for her response. It's fun  to lie to her, making her think that I wanted to protect her and all. Cute.

Ava nodded, a small smile stretching across her lips. I felt a pang of guilt as I pulled her close, knowing what I was about to do would hurt her deeply.

"Come on, William," spoke the ant. I gently guided Ava's body off my chest, giving me room to stand. As my back turned to her, my lip curled into a grin, masking the fear and doubt I was feeling.

The peach leaves swayed in the breeze, effortlessly cascading down towards the spike grass that grew below. Ava's cheeks matched the vibrant hue of the leaves, and her eyes sparkled with unshed tears. The wind rustled through the leaves, and Ava's hair danced and tangled with the foliage. It was as if the world itself had slowed, and all was still and peaceful.

Ava spoke, and her words were a proclamation of love. It was as if a dam had suddenly burst within me, unleashing a torrent of emotion. I seized her hand eagerly, as if afraid to lose this feeling. I told her I loved her too, and it felt like the world dissolved into a milky yellow sky.

Suddenly, my vision shifted, and I was back in reality. My hands were empty, and an ant was standing before me. My heart sank as I realized Ava's life was in danger. The thought of her head exploding, bones stained with blood, made me sick to my stomach. I clenched my fists and stepped forward.

"Don't!" I shouted, "If you want me, then Ava needs to come with me." I knew that I could not leave her behind, that my body would never allow it...Although my mind will.

a small hiccup...

the ant's lip curls up

"We don't want her," Ant spat, her words dripping with venom.

"You want her," I countered, refusing to back down. "Because you want me."

Ant's grip tightened on her gun as she glared at me. "Move," she ordered, nudging the weapon towards me as if to physically force me out of the way.

I stood my ground, unflinching. "If you want me, then you have to accept her. I won't say it again or at all," I warned, The ant glance briefly over at Octopus for support.

Ant hesitated, her eyes flickering between me and Ava. Eventually, she lowered her gun, a defeated huff escaping her lips.

"Fine!" she spat. "But if she slows us down, I'll murder her."

I swallowed, a cold knot forming in my stomach. "Fine," I said, Jumping at the first chance I have when she mentions murder...I'll make sure Ava dies...somehow.

"My name is Jason and that ever-so-friendly woman's name is Riley," the words hung in the air as the octopus spoke. Or rather, it was Jason who spoke. The octopus didn't look like a Jason, but perhaps that was because I was used to torturing the soul of Jason Voorhees.

I looked around the lonely room, which seemed to soak up all the excitement into its walls. "Isn't there anyone else?" I asked.

"No, just us three," Riley replied, standing between Jason and me.

"I'm glad you're not counting yourself," I remarked, staring down at her. Ava clung tighter onto my right arm like a parasite locking onto its host.

"I can still kill her! I'm the leader here, and you don't talk to me that way," Riley thrashed out her tuck-sliver pistol, aiming it at Ava's head. The air grew colder as the scene unfolded, and the tension between us surged.

Her eyes, once dull and lonely, now glimmered with a fiery intensity as she locked her gaze onto Ava. With an undying promise to kill burning in her soul, her finger curled around the trigger. My heart pounded, and my body froze, but something inside me urged me forward. Without a second thought, I stepped in front of the gun, letting it rest against my forehead.

As the cold metal pressed against my skin, her resolve wavered. A lump had formed in her throat, choking her with uncertainty. Her eyes darted between me and Ava, struggling to regain control of the trigger. I watched as she fought with the conflicting emotions within her. Would she do it? Would she give in to the anger that consumed her?

My eyebrows furrowed in anticipation as her index finger began to move back. My breath caught in my throat, and my heart thundered in my chest. It was both terrifying and fascinating to witness her internal struggle. Would she pull the trigger for me? Or would she say, "Fuck it" and end me?"

Jason swiftly stepped between Riley and me, physically separating us.

"Hey, hey! Break it up, you two!" he barked, disrupting the tense stand-off. As they parted, Riley's eyes, once a deep shade of red, quickly returned to their normal color. she lowered his gun, acknowledging Jason.

"I suggest you keep that mouth of yours in check," Jason warned, wagging his finger dismissively in my direction. Licking his lips with anticipation, he continued, "Listen up. We're going to be filthy rich, baby. But to get there, we need to make some bank. Our first hit is the bank."

Riley took over the speech, speaking slowly and confidently. "I already have a plan laid out. If you follow my orders, we will have around 700,000 dollars in no time." she was addressing Ava and me specifically.

"What's the strategy?" I interjected.

"Don't worry," Riley reassured me, the faintest hint of a smirk playing on his lips. "We'll go over it in detail."