chapter 12

*William*

Outside is like an apocalypse- destruction and chaos. Buildings and infrastructure are often in ruins, and the streets are littered with debris and abandoned vehicles. The world is going straight to hell, and the survivors are- well... there aren't any...I sat down across from Ava beside the boxes that crowd the truck.

"The military is close" Riley's whisper sends a jolt of fear through my body, causing me to swallow hard and tighten my grip on the gun. But before I can brace myself for what's to come, something pounces on top of me. As my eyes meet the attacker's, I'm struck by their striking appearance - eyebrows furrowed in anger, jaw clenched in frustration, and skin reddened with fury. And then there are their eyes - one a dull green, the other a dusty brown, a stark contrast that leaves me momentarily speechless.

Before I can recover from the shock, the attacker - James, my own twin brother - growls at me, "How could you!" The accusation steals the breath from my lungs, the pain of his betrayal almost too much to bear. "How could you become a terrorist!" he continues, his eyes boring into mine, demanding an explanation.

As I try to process what's happening, I notice Jason, already one step ahead of me, cocking his gun back. But James is faster, pulling out a gun from his back pocket and firing aimlessly. One of the bullets manages to hit my hand, causing Riley to lose control of the car.

"Shit! Everyone hang on!" Riley's panicked cry echoes through the truck as it spins out of control, knocking everything out of place. James is thrown off me, and Ava tumbles around in the chaos. The two back doors of the truck fly open, revealing the military hot on our ass.

"Let's light this bitch up, Liam!" Jason exclaimed, tossing a rifle my way. I caught it, feeling the weight of it in my hands. The wind picked up suddenly, and I had to squint to keep my eyes open as my blonde hair was whipped around my face. I tried to push it back, but it kept flying in my eyes.

As we drove towards our target, Jason picked off soldiers one by one. "Hey, Liam, let's make a bet!" He said, looking over at me with a grin. "If I can shoot one until it explodes, you give me 50 million dollars."

I smirked, feeling a rush of adrenaline. " Bet," I replied, and my finger brushed against the trigger. I aimed steadily, taking down the enemy with ease.

Suddenly, my attention was diverted. I looked behind us to see that Riley had my brother detained. I quickly turned back to face the enemy, not wanting to let my guard down for even a moment.

My bullet pierced through the truck's glass, causing the driver to lose control and crash into a pole. A moment later, it burst into flames. But within seconds, a new truck took its place, equipped with a bigger gun and more soldiers on the roof. We had to keep fighting.

"Shit!" Jason yelled, panic and adrenaline coursing through his veins. "They brought out the big guns!" He moved quickly, positioning himself beside me and slamming shut the double doors with a resounding thud. "Get to the front...everyone," he ordered, his voice strained with urgency.

I shook my head in disbelief. "You can't be serious? We can't quit...we have to kill them!" I grabbed the nearest gun, my palms slick with sweat. My fingers fumbled as I tried to get a grip on the cold metal.