chapter 6

In that moment, our eyes locked for a brief moment before she shut them tightly, as if trying to block out the world around her. Why did she have to be alive, and why did she have to cry? My heart ached as I watched her tears cascade down her face, leaving glistening trails in their wake. I couldn't help but notice the stark contrast to Jason, who was stoically wrapping up his bleeding shoulder, his face devoid of any tears or emotion. As I glanced back at her, I realized that she too needed to tend to her wounds, just like Jason.

"We need a doctor," I said, trying to keep my voice calm, but my insides were somehow twisting into knots. As I turned to Riley, I could see that she was equally concerned.

"This is just great. More time is wasted all because of her," Riley smacked her lips in frustration. "I knew we should have killed her," she muttered under her breath.

I caught her mumble and quickly shot her a warning glance. "Don't get strangled," I said, my voice hardening, my tone stern. But I had an inkling that she might actually enjoy the fight.

As I crouched down to examine Ava's bleeding thigh, my heart raced with of adrenaline . There was so little blood, but the wound looked raw and painful. I knew she needed medical attention.

"It hurts," Ava whimpered, and my heart ached at the sound of her pain. I tried to stay focused and keep my hands calm as I worked to assess her injury.

"This was your fault," I said, my voice low and full of fury. "I told you to put the gun down." My hand sat on top of her thigh, the heat of her skin searing into mine, reminding me of the heat between us when we made love. But the moment was ruined by the blood between my fingers, staining them a sickly shade of crimson.

My eyes flicked over to Riley as she paced the room, her mind racing with all the possible outcomes. I could see the battle waging within her, every advantage, disadvantage, and possible ending swirling around in her head.

"I'll figure something out," she muttered, but her tone told me that she wasn't so sure. "Shit, this is so fucking bad...if Jason can't fight, the chances of us getting those weapons are down to 45 percent."

That was low. I knew it, and I could see the worry etched on Riley's face. But I also knew that we couldn't afford to fail.

"I'll pick them up," I said firmly, causing Riley to stop pacing and look over at me with a raised eyebrow.

"You?" she asked, her gaze running over me from head to toe, taking in all my weaknesses and vulnerabilities. It was clear that she wasn't too impressed with what she saw. "You might try to escape."

But I shook my head. "No," I said, my voice steady. "When it comes to murder, that's something I do well. Once I start, I never stop. I'll get it done, I promise."

"I'm not asking. You want your weapons, right? So, someone has to stay behind and care for the weak. And there's no better place for you," I say, drawing my words out. I could feel the tension in the air, and it was so thick that it was almost a living thing.

"I said what I said. I'll go; you'll stay," she says firmly, clenching her fists at her sides. Her piercing blue eyes bore into me, and I felt like she could see right through me.

Finally, I break the heavy silence, "If I don't return in three days, I grant you permission to kill Ava," I say. As I speak, I can see Riley's expression change, becoming cold and hard. It's like she's carved from ice.

Her fingers close around mine, and I feel the weight of her gun in my palm. The metal is so cold it sends a shiver down my spine. I try to release her grip, but she holds on tight.

"Shoot her other thigh, and then I'll let you go," she says, and before I can even think, my head spins, and my body turns toward Ava. I fire a single shot, and she screams, tears streaming down her face.