𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞

Christmas was meant to be a happy holiday, one in which you could spend the day with your entire family and think about all of the happy memories you had spent together. It was a day where you opened presents, thanking your loved ones for being so thoughtful and considerate. Monty had always loved Christmas, for the sight of the decorations and movies that would play all throughout December would always warm his heart like no other.

This year was different.

That Christmas spirit had been killed inside of him, instead being replaced with a lonely depression that couldn't even be put into words. Monty had tried so hard to smile and look happy for his mothers sake, for Christmas had been her favorite holiday as well. But it was just so difficult. Deep down Monty knew that the smiles weren't real and the laughs were all just a facade, and somehow that made him feel even worse to the point where he just wanted to lock himself in his room and never come out. It had been two days since the breakup with Abby, and Monty still scrolled through all pictures of them all night and cried himself to sleep. Marcus had told him that wasn't healthy, and that he needed a new way to spend his time. But the thought of getting out of bed and going outside was just too exhausting.

"Hey, buddy," Paul had knocked on Montys door before stepping inside causing the Miller boy to sigh deeply. Ever since he had arrived home after spending the entire day with Marcus Paul and Georgia had been monitoring Monty nonstop. "You thinking about getting up soon? It is a school day after all."

"I'm gonna get up," Monty mumbled, his face buried into his pillow causing his words to come out muffled. "Just give me two minutes."

"Are you sure?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

Paul opened his mouth to say something, such as why Monty was being so snappy so early in the morning. But he stopped himself, ultimately deciding that starting more problems was the worst thing to do at the moment. The door to Monty's room has closed, the Miller boy lifting his head up from his pillow and running a hand over his face. He wanted to stay in bed all day, not really having the mental strength to wake up and face everyone at school. But when Paul knocked on his door for the second time, Monty groaned loudly before rolling out of bed and grabbing a pair of clothes from his closet. It wasn't much, just an old pair of sweatpants and a hoodie. Normally if Monty was in a better mood he would've dressed more fancy for the holiday season, but right now he was in a horrible mood so a hoodie and pair of sweats was as good as it was going to get.

Monty stepped out of his room, being met with the sight of Ginny exiting her room as well. He offered her a warm smile, his mood being lifted up a bit now that he saw his twin. But when she rolled her eyes before making her way downstairs, Monty felt his heart sink to his stomach. It was as if every time he felt an inch of happiness, it was snatched away from him and leaving him to drown in that same lonely feeling that he had felt too many times to count.

Monty had walked back inside of his room, not wanting anybody to see his eyes pool with what was eventually going to be unstoppable gears. Monty knew he shouldn't be crying over something so stupid, so unimportant. But everything hurt now. Nowadays anything could make him feel pain and hurt. Monty knew he should've just stayed in bed, the only place he could feel an ounce of comfort. But when his phone went off, he shuffled and wiped his eyes before pulling it out of its pocket, a small smile forming on his face as he read through the messages Marcus had sent him.

Marcus:you coming to school today???

Monty:idk, not really feeling it

Marcus:come on, you have to go

Marcus:day before Christmas vacation is always the best

Monty:nah i think i'm just gonna stay home